Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few members (steveespo, others) have installed the brake cooling kit - M-2004-MB.

I'm wondering how it connects up to a premium GT (i.e. non-CS, non-Boss) front grille/fascia? I see nice rectangular moldings where something (CS fog lights or ?) could go. The ducting looks like it just comes with round hose clamps though. Do you just cut a hole in the fascia or what?

It LOOKS like the OTHER brake cooling kit (MUSTANG FR500C BRAKE DUCT KIT M-2005-A) is the same, but ALSO comes with the intake plastic scoops that look, from the picture, like they'd plug into the lower fascia locations on the stock grille. The description says its for the FR500C race car though???

Also, is the Boss Brake Line Kit (FRPP # M-2078-MB) any different than what's on a stock Brembo GT? It's fairly cheap ($99) but still not full braided stainless-steel. Does anyone make a full steel line kit that will work for a GT+Brembo? FRPP lists the "FR500S BRAKE HOSE KIT #M-2078-A", but will that work with stock Brembos? It looks like the brake kit number they show for it pulls up Brembos...

·
Registered
498 Posts
The various brake cooling kits need a source of air, and Ford very thoughtfully put exactly the kind of openings you need into the GT-CS/Boss front valence. In that valence, the round fog light holes are beyond good for brake ducts - they're perfect. They are exactly 3" in diameter to fit the hose and they're about 3 or 4 inches deep so you can slide the hose over and clamp it on. It's almost like Ford started with a design for brake ducts and then came up with fog lights that would fill the holes, rather than the other way around.

There is no equivalent structure built into the non-CS, non-Boss front fascias, so you're going to have to fabricate something. I actually bought some aluminum duct inlets to install on mine, and once I figured out how much work it would be, I abandoned the project and just bought the CS fascia instead. It's still not perfect - you have to move the windshield washer reservoir about 1.5" outboard, but other than that, it goes together very easily.

I may be wrong but the FR500C ducting kit may be intended for a different fascia than the 2011 GT fascia, and if that's the case, you've got some cutting to do.

On the brakelines, it's hard to tell what's going on. The Boss hoses are reinforced better than the stock ones, and they'll last 500,000 miles ("OEM Quality") but there's no way to know how they affect pedal feel, which is what it's all about. Someone will have to try them and do a write up.

When it comes to stainless braided hoses, FRPP includes Goodridge stainless lines with the GT500 brake kit, and they probably use specially made lines for the FR500C and FR500S kits. If you're not putting the actual FR500 Brembo's on (they are a radial mount racing caliper, very different from the GT500 caliper) I would not try to use the FR500 lines with OEM Ford or OEM Ford Brembo calipers. They might be too long or too short or have the wrong fittings. For any stock Ford caliper - "regular" or Brembo, I'd just buy the Goodridge lines. They fit and they work.

I know a few members (steveespo, others) have installed the brake cooling kit - M-2004-MB.

I'm wondering how it connects up to a premium GT (i.e. non-CS, non-Boss) front grille/fascia? I see nice rectangular moldings where something (CS fog lights or ?) could go. The ducting looks like it just comes with round hose clamps though. Do you just cut a hole in the fascia or what?

It LOOKS like the OTHER brake cooling kit (MUSTANG FR500C BRAKE DUCT KIT M-2005-A) is the same, but ALSO comes with the intake plastic scoops that look, from the picture, like they'd plug into the lower fascia locations on the stock grille. The description says its for the FR500C race car though???

Also, is the Boss Brake Line Kit (FRPP # M-2078-MB) any different than what's on a stock Brembo GT? It's fairly cheap ($99) but still not full braided stainless-steel. Does anyone make a full steel line kit that will work for a GT+Brembo? FRPP lists the "FR500S BRAKE HOSE KIT #M-2078-A", but will that work with stock Brembos? It looks like the brake kit number they show for it pulls up Brembos...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great link Grimace. I'm familiar that the kits need to pull air, but I'm not quite clear on how they connect to the brake caliper (as illustrated in that link) can someone fill me in?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Great link Grimace. I'm familiar that the kits need to pull air, but I'm not quite clear on how they connect to the brake caliper (as illustrated in that link) can someone fill me in?
The Ford Racing kit comes with what they call a backing plate that has about a 3" extended opening to mount the ducts to. You have to remove the caliper, remove the rotor, and then remove the factory dust shield that is behind the rotor. You put on the new backing plate (you do not re-use the factory dust shield), put the rotor back on, and then put the caliper back on. You can then slide the hose over that 3" extended opening and put the hose clamp on it.

G

·
0 Posts
The Ford Racing kit comes with what they call a backing plate that has about a 3" extended opening to mount the ducts to. You have to remove the caliper, remove the rotor, and then remove the factory dust shield that is behind the rotor. You put on the new backing plate (you do not re-use the factory dust shield), put the rotor back on, and then put the caliper back on. You can then slide the hose over that 3" extended opening and put the hose clamp on it.
Rehagen Racing also has their own bracketry if you wanted a complete parts kit. I would ask them about compatibility.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the easiest thing to do is just spend the extra $250 for the CS/BOSS lower valence/fascia. Funny, this seems like the perfect little plastic part for some aftermarket shop to make. I wonder how horrible it would look if I just cut some round holes in the GT fascia and hot-glued the duct tubes? It seems like about a 6-8 hour install, doing the duct kit AND the CS valence (gotta remove the whole bumper cover and other "stuff").

So... Then once you have to do ALL that, it seems like it's the right time to attach all the plumbing for the Boss oil cooler. Oh, and since I'll have the rotors off (and the car on stands), that's the time to do the swap to Koni's... Oh, and I need the camber plate installed too... Of course the new brake lines should go in then - new fluid and coolant too (and an oil+filter for the oil cooler - gotta drain it anyway).

Well, so it's sounding like my vacation will be spent under the car. Either that, or I could do nothing, save the money, and go to Hawaii. Oh, what to choose...

·
Registered
359 Posts
icckart
I did the Boss brake lines and they are definitely different than stock (goodyear logos, stiffer feel to the touch) but as far as actual feel under braking I haven't put them to the test as I don't track again until July 11 at Watkins Glen. Got mine from Cloud 9 over at Bossmustangsonline.com, he put the goodridge SS lines on his Boss and I bought them for $60 from him:bigthumbsup. I put DBA 5000 2 piece rotors and the Baer 14" 2 piece eradispeed rear rotor kit with Hawk HP+ pads on the car and that DOES make a huge difference in brake feel. The initial bite is powerful and the pads are rated to operate in the 150-800 degree range, stock pads are only good to 550 degrees if you are lucky, this will be my biggest performance upgrade so far to date IMHO. Our cars have plenty of go, stopping is where the most time can be gained on track.
Steve

·
Registered
668 Posts
icckart
Our cars have plenty of go, stopping is where the most time can be gained on track.
Steve
Amen. Being able to brake later and slow down faster helps a ton for me on the autocross course. After I upgraded the factory brakes to the M-2300-S Brembo kit and Motul fluid, I could get the car whoa'ed up later/quicker which allowed me to get back to the gas that much faster. I've won 2 events this season by under .015 sec. I have to give those victories to the Brembos.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
icckart
I did the Boss brake lines and they are definitely different than stock (goodyear logos, stiffer feel to the touch) but as far as actual feel under braking I haven't put them to the test as I don't track again until July 11 at Watkins Glen. Got mine from Cloud 9 over at Bossmustangsonline.com, he put the goodridge SS lines on his Boss and I bought them for $60 from him:bigthumbsup. I put DBA 5000 2 piece rotors and the Baer 14" 2 piece eradispeed rear rotor kit with Hawk HP+ pads on the car and that DOES make a huge difference in brake feel. The initial bite is powerful and the pads are rated to operate in the 150-800 degree range, stock pads are only good to 550 degrees if you are lucky, this will be my biggest performance upgrade so far to date IMHO. Our cars have plenty of go, stopping is where the most time can be gained on track.
Steve
Lucky man - you have EVERY mod. on my wish list! I'm scheduled for 4 full day limited passing track events this summer - where ambient temps. (assuming a NORMAL summer in CA. central valley - been anything but so far) will be >100 deg. Track temps will be >130. I'd like to do what I can to keep my car from becoming a heap of molten metal!

I have to agree with the brake comments - also from my track experience. Well at least in cars - the kart probably has the equiv. of 20" rotors on a car, given the weight. Brakes ain't a problem there. I guess I'll explore the benefits of the Brembo quick-change pin system. I'm not going to run HP+ pads on the street. I did that on the RX-7 and ACR and ATE rotors way too fast.

I've never run SS lines (except in the kart), and been skeptical they're worth the money. Sound like it's a MAYBE... For $99 the Boss lines seem worth doing.

If you're really generating that much heat in the pads, it ALSO seems like the duct kit is a great idea. What an awesome treat to just be able to BUY it too (no fabrication needed).

I think the cooler is a good idea - just for a little extra insurance (gonna get HOT).

I'd love to get the Koni yellows in too (I'll likely notice that more than anything???). I'm not sure all the supply issues have been worked out. What do you guys think about running the stock Brembo springs (Sam says they're somewhat higher spring rate than the std. GT) with the Yellows? I'll ask Sam, but he'll prob. give me a lecture on how stupid that is...

I don't want to change TOO much in the suspension dept. until I've got more seat time. I hate the "wallow" and brake dive I get now though. I think just dampers (no springs) might be enough. I have another rear bar (thinner), but I'm not sure I should make that change either???

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I looked at the brake ducts and talked to a couple shops and none of them could figure out how to make it work with the standard GT lower fascia. It's pretty tightly sealed up.

The best solution is to get the CS lower fascia.

The next best solution might be to use the vented backing plates from the Boss. Only $60.

Vorschlag reported good results from the standard Brembo setup, so I'm not in a hurry to change things unless I observe some personal issues.

Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build (STX?)

4. The brakes were very impressive and confidence inspiring, and the ABS worked like a champ in both the wet and dry. They are bone stock other than the stainless braided lines we built for it. One of the other 2011 Mustang GT TTA guys had beautiful 2-piece ($800/pair) rotors up front, mostly for weight. He also had the CS lower valance on with ducting to the front rotors (see pics, below). Not a bad idea. Still, I think the stock rotors, pads and calipers worked fantastically at this track, at least for the current grip and power levels of the car. People that have driven with me say I am a pretty abusive to brakes (lots of left foot braking, trail braking, and late braking on track) yet I was pretty happy with the stock brakes all weekend. You'd think with 2 drivers running the car double duty we would have cooked the things, but the pads took a beating and kept diving deep into each corner. I complained once on video of a bit of smell from the brakes, but that was it. I don't know what pads these Brembo cars come with, but I like them. Minimal dusting, too.

I will say this: definitely get the Brembo package on any 2011 or 2012 GT if you are going to ever track it. Ford did the brakes right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts