Ford Mustang Forum banner

BOSS Gauge Pack

7K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Old Chuck 
#1 ·
Did anyone get a hold of one of these yet?

I'm really interested in finding out what the installation involves. I think it is supposed to be available this month but most sites I've checked don't have it yet.

See less See more
#7 ·
Hey guys, I have the 3 gauge pod in my car--(Ican't load them here) Go too my profile and see--They are great--I have about $1000 invested in them--They lilte up red-white and blue when my lights come on--very neat !!

#8 ·
let me add this--I have about $1000 in these gauges and pod installed-- I used FRPP gauges and I got the pod from AM. Had a Pro shop install--Lots of problems with oil and water install- seems teh 5.0 don't have any place to put the sensors..Amp gauge, no problem

#10 ·
I did the same as Drifter...looks and performs beautifully. A must have if you want to monitor everything. Of course, i did the pillar pod and vent pod as well. But that's because i don't care for the Aeroforce gauge and i prefer analog gauges.

Attachments

#12 ·
How did you do the oil and water hook up? Did you use the Boss oil pan or did you put your own bungs in? Want to do the gauges but had other things come up lately.
I had a Mustang performance shop do the work. They kept the stock oil pan, just tapped into it to do the Oil pressure and Oil temp. sensors...Fuel pressure is where it got tricky. Had to buy an adapter so that they wouldn't have to tap into the fuel rail lines. They said it was a lot tougher finding the right spots to tap into on the 5.0 than the 4.6. A lot of mini custom modifications needed to be done here and there to make it all work. In the end, I'm glad I didn't mess with it myself.

#13 ·
I wonder if someone will come out with a sandwich plate to put in between the oil filter to be able to get oil temp and oil pressure without drilling into the oil pan. That's how they did it on my last platform (Mazdaspeed3).

#15 ·
They already have one out. Glowshift.com Order the one for 99-04 4.6--Its what I have on my 5.0 right now for my oil pressure gauge. Works just fine. No modifications to make it work. Just screw it on then screw the oil filter on. Plenty of room.

#14 ·
Chiz

Thanks. I thought that would be the way you would go. If I could find a shop I trusted then I would do as you did as well. The boss oil pan would be the easiest but very spendy unless someone comes out with a cheaper edition. I will continue to look for someone I trust in my area.

#16 ·
Boss oil pan info needed

It would seem that you could purchase the Boss oil pan for around a hundred and it might be cheaper then going the custom fittings for the standard GT pan. Can anyone confirm that the Boss oil pan is a plug and play? If it is, I can't see any down side to the Boss pan if it has the connections for the oil pressure and oil temp already installed. There would be another gallon of oil but that is not a downside except for minor cost of oil.

#18 ·
Looking back over this thread, where did they tap into for the fuel pressure? From what you said and looking under the hood, it could be a real pain. Great look for the instruments....Looking for a shop for mine and trying to get all the details.
They had to buy an adapter for the fuel rail-line. The more dangerous alternative was to drill straight into the line itself. That sounded sketchy, so I sprang for the part. It was like $40 or something. Not exactly sure where they hooked it up. They just told me it would be safer, smarter, and easier to get this adapter. So, I just told them to buy the part they needed and to make it work. lol

#19 ·
Nice ride CHEZ I put my car into a show this past weekend and had tons of chat about the gauges..No one has them,exceot me.. lol--It sure looks well and I am sure more guys will get them,,I see the entire item has come down in price now,,But, there is still installation that will cost some Bucks.. Again--GOOD going man, Here is my set.

Attachments

#24 ·
Very nice Drifter.

Chuck, consider that confirmed. I originally wanted my full sweep gauges in the BOSS pod, but was told that they were too long. They didn't fit deep enough into the pod and would stick out the front.

#28 ·
I just ordered the boss gauge pod and 3 gauges (oi pressure, water temp, and voltage). For those of you that got it all installed at a shop, how much were you quoted? Is there anything that I can tell a shop that I am new to? I don't want there to be any surprises on either end :) Thanks!

#30 ·
Man I've been dreaming of this for a while..

#31 ·
idn't get a quote before the install because it was going to be a NEW thing for the garage--No one ever worked on a 5.0 before--I told them to just do it--SO it cost me $819--parts and labor--

#32 ·
Thanks for all the info. SpeedKing, thanks for the info on the CFM fuel monitor adapter. Not sure what is out there but this looks like an easy way to skin a cat. Wonder if there is anything that does not necessatate cutting the plastic cover.
ChiZ, did you have to have your cover cut as well?
Not sure if want to go with Glowshift. May just do the oil pan as I know it will hold up over the years..

#33 ·
ChiZ, did you have to have your cover cut as well?
Not sure if want to go with Glowshift. May just do the oil pan as I know it will hold up over the years..
Yeah, pretty sure they had to cut the cover to make it work. They said they had to do a lot of little things like that under the hood during the installs.

As far as price, my shop basically quoted me 1hr labor per gauge. I had 6 gauges...and 3 gauge pods. The gauge pods did NOT cost extra to install. I supplied all the parts...they did all the dirty work. At the end of the day, including the fuel-pressure adapter i had to buy during the install, i was out the door for around $500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.