Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the Boss manifold installed and took it out for a quick drive. I had 4.10 gears installed a couple weeks ago on my 6mt. It was silly fast and spun the tires constantly. The engine felt rough and didn't feel comfortable when driving at or above 2500 rpms. The install went easy except the Airaid intake was a bit more than I wanted to do. You have to trim the coupling at the throttle body like others have said. I ended up taking close to an inch off each end at the top to fit to my taste instead of the 1/2 inch like others have done. With the Boss installed the car sounds quieter and revs really smooth. The uncomfortable feeling at or above 2500 rpms is gone. When it gets around 5000 rpm it really wants to go. I am running a Lund tune both prior and current. I did an initial dyno pull after having the 4.10 gears installed. I understand the numbers are a tad low for a Lund but I am running extra safe. I will take it in a couple weeks and have another dyno pull done to see the difference with the new manifold.

lund dyno sm.jpg

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
the tune could be on the safe side but the numbers are also lower because of the 4.10 gears. thats like 405whp with 3.73s
i really really really want 4.10s

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If anything, it at least looks fast.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i really really really want 4.10s
I had a good local Mustang shop do them for $430 with all parts included. No whine at all, too.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I had a good local Mustang shop do them for $430 with all parts included. No whine at all, too.
thats awesome.. i can only imagine how hard the car pulls with 4.10. can you make some videos of some street pulls?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats awesome.. i can only imagine how hard the car pulls with 4.10. can you make some videos of some street pulls?
I can try sometime this week.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i cant see why 4.10s would be an issue with the boss intake manifold making power all the way up to 7700 rpm.

·
Registered
826 Posts
i cant see why 4.10s would be an issue with the boss intake manifold making power all the way up to 7700 rpm.
The 4.10 argument, yes, should be good if you race or drive mostly in the city.

As for the 7700 rpm argument, in your dreams. The stock motor won't even rev and make power at the Boss 7500 rpm rev limit w/o a camshaft swap, but the good thing is that you don't lose massive power in the low-end rpm range with the VVT doing it's thing, unlike the old 5.0 pushrod motor did with this style of short straight runner intake.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I drive a lot of highway and I still love my 4.10s. I get 22-23mpg on the highway going 80-85mph, which is around 2750-2900 rpm in 6th. By comparison I was getting about 1mpg higher at those speeds with my stock 3.55s. So even if you do a lot of highway driving, don't be discouraged on getting the 4.10s.

I really want to get a Boss Intake soon. Maybe this Christmas...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The 4.10 argument, yes, should be good if you race or drive mostly in the city.

As for the 7700 rpm argument, in your dreams. The stock motor won't even rev and make power at the Boss 7500 rpm rev limit w/o a camshaft swap, but the good thing is that you don't lose massive power in the low-end rpm range with the VVT doing it's thing, unlike the old 5.0 pushrod motor did with this style of short straight runner intake.
I have read in that the boss intake hold peak hp or very close to peak ho all the way up to 7700 rpm. I haven't strapped my car to a chassis dyno yet but I do feel my car pulling harder and harder all tje way to 7700. The butt meter can't be off by to much. I will be able to confirm this when I get my actual dyno sheet.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my first run on the track: 12.89 @ 111.

Got off the line okay but spun bad in second. Let off the gas and got back on and it still spun a bit. Chirped in 3rd and 4th. Had to shift into 5th right before crossing the line. I ran, I think it was, a C5 Corvette. He left me with two car lengths and I beat him across the line. I was the announcer was pretty hyped about me catching him. Second run sucked at 13 flat. Tried to run 4th across the finish but I hit the rev limiter set at 7600 before crossing the finish so I had to shift into 5th. I'm thinking if I can dial my run in I could do a 12.6. I was running my Bama 91 oct Performance tune. There were a couple GT500's running marginally quicker than me. I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The torque curve looks horrid… drops way to much in higher RPMS… your ET for your altitude is bad, very bad…. You must have spun a lot and had really slow 60’ times well over 2.2 seconds…
(Touque x RPM)/5252 = HP
The shifting at 7600 RPM’s, why… you are way past your HP peak, shift at about 68, 6900 and it will pull harder, it will drop the RPMs back in the 5500 range after shift…
I have a manual and 3.73 gears and cross the line at 6700 in forth at 110mph…
Use the attached PDF and go to the website link below...
Gear Ratio Speed Calculator
Tire diameter is 26.6"
Drive within your dyno sheet... get some lower ET's, what you ran is embarrassing to the Mustang community…
Questions?

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
The torque curve looks horrid… drops way to much in higher RPMS… your ET for your altitude is bad, very bad…. You must have spun a lot and had really slow 60’ times well over 2.2 seconds…
(Touque x RPM)/5252 = HP
The shifting at 7600 RPM’s, why… you are way past your HP peak, shift at about 68, 6900 and it will pull harder, it will drop the RPMs back in the 5500 range after shift…
Tire diameter is 26.6"
Drive within your dyno sheet... get some lower ET's, what you ran is embarrassing to the Mustang community…
Questions?

Harsh but true ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(Touque x RPM)/5252 = HP
Tire diameter is 26.6"
Questions?

1st - You don't have to be so blunt. No need for it. This should be a friendly community. If I needed that I would discuss this with my wife.
2nd - This is the first time I had ever been to a drag strip.
3rd - The dyno sheet was pre Boss intake. I am now post intake. No new dyno sheet for current setup.
4th - I have 4.10's and I hit the rev limiter before the finish in 4th so I have to shift into 5th.
5th - Street tires without psi adjustment.
6th - Yes I spun all the way through second.
7th - Yes I would like to run a Camaro SS, but a Corvette isn't that slow either. Maybe you should have a talk with him, too.
8th - My 60 ft was bad, 2.0 sec (ref. 2nd and 6th statement).
9th - I watched a GT500 run a 12.7 @ 114. Maybe you should have a talk with him, too.
10th - "what you ran is embarrassing to the Mustang community"...Really? Grow up.

Good day.........I said good day!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
@F2Kmech...
You know what makes the Mustang such a great car...

The throttle works both ways...

Best of luck at dropping your ET's

·
Registered
437 Posts
2.0 60' really isn't that bad on street tires. No idea why John Richard thought he needed to tear into you, especially when he obviously didn't even read the thread to see that the dyno sheet was before the Boss intake, or that you have 4.10s which is why you had to shift into 5th (I have 4.10s also and finish in 4th trapping just below 110 but it hits the limiter just after crossing the line). All dyno sheets with the Boss intake show it pulling all the way to redline, so shifting well above 7000 is where you should be shifting, Plus, he has no idea what the Density Altitude was that day, regardless of being near sea level.

I guess I'm an embarrassment to the Mustang community too since I haven't been able to run a 12 yet. We'll just ignore the fact that the two times I ran were at 7300' and 8300' DA. I guess I'll just sell my Mustang and go buy a Civic so I don't risk letting down John Richard.

Post up your timeslips John. I want to see what the drag racing master who can criticize everyone else ran.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Got my first run on the track: 12.89 @ 111.

Got off the line okay but spun bad in second. Let off the gas and got back on and it still spun a bit. Chirped in 3rd and 4th. Had to shift into 5th right before crossing the line. I ran, I think it was, a C5 Corvette. He left me with two car lengths and I beat him across the line. I was the announcer was pretty hyped about me catching him. Second run sucked at 13 flat. Tried to run 4th across the finish but I hit the rev limiter set at 7600 before crossing the finish so I had to shift into 5th. I'm thinking if I can dial my run in I could do a 12.6. I was running my Bama 91 oct Performance tune. There were a couple GT500's running marginally quicker than me. I'm happy.
Thanks for sharing...glad you caught that vette! Sounds like you've got a lot of potential there to work with. Do you think a slightly taller set of drag radials are in your future? Maybe that would help you keep make it across the line in 4th? Not sure. I think you're definitely within reach of your goal. Keep us posted if you get back to the strip. Also, interested in seeing the new dyno sheet post-boss intake upgrade. Every time I see someone drop one on...it makes me want to spend my money on one!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts