Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the details (or have a link) on the difference between the Boss motor mounts and stock? Are the Boss motor mounts still hydraulic, or do they use a solid bushing? I assume std. and Brembo GTs use the same motor mounts - anybody know for sure? I looked in FRPP's catalog, but didn't find a part # for the new mounts.

Are the Boss tranny mounts the same as the std. GT's (fairly soft rubber isolators in the MT82 lower cross-member). Oh, yeah - I mean for an MT82, not auto (should be obvious since there is no auto Boss - but...)!

I'm asking because I'm planning on changing my motor mounts and shift linkage rear mount to JHR's versions, or the Boss 302 mounts. I'm hoping this will firm up shifting (see Adam's MT82 thread), reduce the occasional "grunch" and lock-out, and generally help prevent my MT82 from eating its synchros...

·
Registered
498 Posts
According to the Ford parts site, the mounts are the same for the Boss and the GT.

I installed the JHR transmission shifter bracket on the weekend. Shifts much better, but now driveline NVH (specifically N) is off the charts.

Anybody know the details (or have a link) on the difference between the Boss motor mounts and stock? Are the Boss motor mounts still hydraulic, or do they use a solid bushing? I assume std. and Brembo GTs use the same motor mounts - anybody know for sure? I looked in FRPP's catalog, but didn't find a part # for the new mounts.

Are the Boss tranny mounts the same as the std. GT's (fairly soft rubber isolators in the MT82 lower cross-member). Oh, yeah - I mean for an MT82, not auto (should be obvious since there is no auto Boss - but...)!

I'm asking because I'm planning on changing my motor mounts and shift linkage rear mount to JHR's versions, or the Boss 302 mounts. I'm hoping this will firm up shifting (see Adam's MT82 thread), reduce the occasional "grunch" and lock-out, and generally help prevent my MT82 from eating its synchros...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the Ford parts site, the mounts are the same for the Boss and the GT.

I installed the JHR transmission shifter bracket on the weekend. Shifts much better, but now driveline NVH (specifically N) is off the charts.
Yeah, I was worried about added noise - mucho thanks for the feedback. I'm going to do it anyway (shifter mount), but it just shows there is (usually) a REASON - NVH related - when an auto maker uses "cheap" rubber isolators instead of a harder bushing material.

The FRPP site shows that the Boss CRATE motor comes with different mounts (the description led me to believe they are a hard bushing). Also, somewhere here on AFM (and also in Adam's thread) there was a post about the Boss mounts. Makes sense they're the same - but I was hoping they weren't.

BTW: Did you have any install issues? It looks like with a swivel socket and a long extension (and a deep 1/4" - thin socket) I should be able to get to the two shifter mount bolts.

While I had the car up and looking around at mounts & stuff, I pulled the skip-shift solenoid connector too. Bye-Bye skip shift!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Installing the bracket requires a 10mm deep socket and one or two long extensions. I had a 6" and a 10" under the car with me, and I don't remember whether I used them both or not. Getting to the nuts is a straight shot from below - one on each side of the drive shaft in between the two exhaust pipes.

When you get the OEM bracket off you'll probably reassess just how "lame" it is. It's well made and the rubber isn't as shabby as its been made out to be. It looks to me like it's designed to give the shifter housing about 1/8" to 1/4" of easy movement around the center before the bushing snubs it.

I'm thinking that removing the two zip ties that hold the hole open and wrapping the shifter housing shaft with something firm that takes up the free play and increases the preload on the bushing might deliver better shifting without the noise penalty of the full-Delrin JHR bracket. The JHR works really well, but I'd like to be able to hold a conversation with a passenger.

Yeah, I was worried about added noise - mucho thanks for the feedback. I'm going to do it anyway (shifter mount), but it just shows there is (usually) a REASON - NVH related - when an auto maker uses "cheap" rubber isolators instead of a harder bushing material.

The FRPP site shows that the Boss CRATE motor comes with different mounts (the description led me to believe they are a hard bushing). Also, somewhere here on AFM (and also in Adam's thread) there was a post about the Boss mounts. Makes sense they're the same - but I was hoping they weren't.

BTW: Did you have any install issues? It looks like with a swivel socket and a long extension (and a deep 1/4" - thin socket) I should be able to get to the two shifter mount bolts.

While I had the car up and looking around at mounts & stuff, I pulled the skip-shift solenoid connector too. Bye-Bye skip shift!

·
Registered
105 Posts
JAJ - I installed the Barton shifter mount a few weeks ago and noticed increased noise as well. Don't know if I got used to it or the bushing settled in (if that's even possible) but it doesn't seem any louder now than before.

I also agreed that the stock mount and bushing wasn't as bad as some initial reviews made it seem. It was obviously designed with NVH considerations in mind. One thing I wish the aftermarket brackets included was some sort of retention clip should the 10mm bolts holding the mount in place fail. I'll probably "fabricate" something out of zip ties to put my mind at ease.

Yes, I'm that OCD. :kooky:

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I hadn't concluded that the clip in question was only there to hold the back end of the shifter assembly in place during assembly, I might have put a new one in myself. But I decided it was purely a convenience for the guys on the assembly line and pitched it.

JAJ - I installed the Barton shifter mount a few weeks ago and noticed increased noise as well. Don't know if I got used to it or the bushing settled in (if that's even possible) but it doesn't seem any louder now than before.

I also agreed that the stock mount and bushing wasn't as bad as some initial reviews made it seem. It was obviously designed with NVH considerations in mind. One thing I wish the aftermarket brackets included was some sort of retention clip should the 10mm bolts holding the mount in place fail. I'll probably "fabricate" something out of zip ties to put my mind at ease.

Yes, I'm that OCD. :kooky:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts