Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm if the Boss oil pan comes with sensors installed or do you have to thread you own sensors? Trying to decide if it would be cheaper and easier to buy the Boss oil pan for around a hundred or have the existing GT pan modified with holes drilled and bungs installed by a custom shop. Planning to do instruments and looking at all the options. If the sensors are installed in the Boss, I can't see any downside to going that route...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I doubt the oil pan has sensors, but it should be drilled for them. It also has baffles for track duty.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was wondering because I was looking at American Muscle and they show a picture of one with a sensor. Given the cost of drilling the stock pan, it may be cheaper to do with the Boss pan. You also get another gallon of oil to dissapate temp. The baffles will also help those who track..

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't believe that the Boss 302 oil sump has a oil temperature sensor mounting hole. It has the oil level sensor hole like the regular sump, but that's it.

The Boss 302 racing sump, the 12 quart version that's $1200, has an oil temp sensor mount on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the Boss oil pan comes with sensors installed or do you have to thread you own sensors? Trying to decide if it would be cheaper and easier to buy the Boss oil pan for around a hundred or have the existing GT pan modified with holes drilled and bungs installed by a custom shop. Planning to do instruments and looking at all the options. If the sensors are installed in the Boss, I can't see any downside to going that route...
I have installed the Boss 302 Radiator, Oil Cooler, and Transmission Cooler, and was looking at the oil pan as well. Haven't had time yet to look at how difficult it will be to change out.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts

That is the oil level sensor. You will still have to drill it for the temperature sensor.

As mentioned by someone previously, only the 302R comes with the plug-fitting for the temperature sensor.

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any questions in the future!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I thought that may be the way it was when I saw the sensor in the diagram. I guess either way you go you will have to drill for the oil temp/pressure. Just looking at options. Would be nice if Ford gave us some options for instruments. Would be glad to pay for them and let them install.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I thought that may be the way it was when I saw the sensor in the diagram. I guess either way you go you will have to drill for the oil temp/pressure. Just looking at options. Would be nice if Ford gave us some options for instruments. Would be glad to pay for them and let them install.

Any machine shop can drill/tap and weld a bung into an oil pan for usually less than $100-$150. Just make sure you provide them with the correct sized bung for the temperature sensor you will be using.

I had mine done by a friend at a race shop for two cases of Lagers:bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts