Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a 302 motor out of a 79 crown vic, The water pump needed to be changed because the inlet was on the wrong side so no biggy. My flywheel had to be swapped uhm still no big deal but then I started looking at the distributor. THe dizzy on this motor is electronic and has a box coil. I pulled it out because im using points. Points are easy dont judge me. lol. Anyway my old dizzy off the old motor fits fine but i noticed the shaft on the newer one is just a little bit longer by a quarter of an inch so i dont know if the old distributors shaft is long enough to crank the oil pump. Does anyone know if im ok or should i run the motor and see if the pressure goes up ... OI would like to run the newer distrubutor but i know nothing about all the wires and what not see two wire get connected to it, im guessing for power and thats all i see...idk if the points dissy works id like to use it but the newer one looks more reliable.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
No problems, as long as it engages your cam and your oil pump. I did the same thing on a 78 Zephyr and worked well

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ok I bought a 302 motor out of a 79 crown vic, The water pump needed to be changed because the inlet was on the wrong side so no biggy. My flywheel had to be swapped uhm still no big deal but then I started looking at the distributor. THe dizzy on this motor is electronic and has a box coil. I pulled it out because im using points. Points are easy dont judge me. lol. Anyway my old dizzy off the old motor fits fine but i noticed the shaft on the newer one is just a little bit longer by a quarter of an inch so i dont know if the old distributors shaft is long enough to crank the oil pump. Does anyone know if im ok or should i run the motor and see if the pressure goes up ... OI would like to run the newer distrubutor but i know nothing about all the wires and what not see two wire get connected to it, im guessing for power and thats all i see...idk if the points dissy works id like to use it but the newer one looks more reliable.
Hi,
Have you thought about adding a "bluing ink" to the top of the pump shaft, insert the old dizzy to see if you get good penetration? Other wise "Google" the new dizzy wiring. Is it Duratech, I don't recall when the those came on the market.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I've also gone back and forth between the electronic dizzy's and the 289/302 dizzy's and have had no issues.

for what it's worth, you're better off keeping that duraspark electronic distributor. It's absolutely simple to wire up and works flawlessly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts