Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a Roush cold air intake on its way and I've been debating whether or I should get a tune eventually. Is a tune something I can buy off American Muscle and do my self like a plug and play kind of thing or do I need to go a shop and get a dyno tune?I've heard your car can become screwy after a tune and engine lights like to come on all the time. Is this true? Just not sure if its something I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
First, most important thing, is to understand whether the intake REQUIRES a tune. I'm pretty sure that the Roush does NOT require a tune, but you should check the documentation that came with it, or look it up on Roush or American Muscle web site.

If it requires a tune, then the tune is not just for performance, the car will not run right without it.

Next, tunes if done right should not cause any lights or warnings and are generally reliable. Of course there can be problems with anything . . . The "mail order" tunes like American Muscle or Brenspeed are generally pretty good and very convenient (because you don't have to find a dyno tuner and take your car there) and you can buy the tuner with the tunes included. A true custom dyno tune is generally the best, but it depends on the knowledge of the person doing the tuning and it's usually more expensive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
In my research, I thought the rousch requires a tune. Only the K&N doesnt. Either way, couldn't hurt. Last thing you want is to spend $$ on new parts and not get the full benefit.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You should definitely research tuners. Just because something is convenient, it doesn't make it the best choice. There are lots of quality tuners out there that will set you up with a devastatingly good tune for any mods you have. VMP, Lund, Mike Rousch, AED, to name a few. They are all email tunes, so the stuff's coming to you the same way and they can all sell you a tuner with the tunes preloaded. A monkey could load a tune on this car, with a few simple precautions, like making sure the battery is fully charged or connected to another running vehicle by jumper cables.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A tune is well worth it. Mail order tunes are probably fine. Personally I went to different tuners in my area until I found one I felt comfortable with. With a mail order tune I don't get to see my car up on the dyno. I really like that instant feedback on what my car is doing with modifications. I'm sure mail order tunes can be measured at the track and data logging, just not quite the same instant gratification.

That said the CAI tune that came on my SCT tuner was spot on for the CAI I put on. We didn't change anything for that.

The nitrous tune for my car did take a little more effort so I am really glad I went to my local tuner for that.

Good luck. I think you will be pleased if you step over the edge and get a tune, regardless of the CAI.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Get a custom calibration for your car. The Roush does not require a calibration but trust us...you will benefit greatly! Give us a shout. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts