Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I caught a random gigantic rock in a parking lot, and this happened. It's snapped clean off of the gas tank, the mounts (which were on the gas tank itself) were sheared off.
What, uh, should I do here? Obviously the check engine light is on... What a day that was. It's currently tied up to the chassis with 550 cord, as I haven't figured out what to do here. Drives fine, the error on the OBD code can be cleared, but always returns.

I can usually fix or repair most anything -- in this case here, I have no idea what I did.

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
The light could be because of a damaged line in the emissions system when it was knocked off. As far as reconnecting, I'm not sure except possibly retapping the connection points.

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The mounting brackets probably have to be welded back onto the car. Once that's done then it should be able to be remounted as it was originally. Then fix the broken vent line or whatever is causing the CEL.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
I guess that is the "EVAP" system and yeah the hoses probably got yanked off so that's why the emissions control system is complaining . . . . and I'm not sure exactly how that all works, so I'd probably pay the money to have a professional fix it, maybe even a stealership service department

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
That is the housing for the carbon canister. Easy fix, may require some fabrication of brackets and new hoses. The EVAP system tests itself by applying vacuum, so if the system isn't sealed it will indicate a problem.

Reactions: Beechkid
1 - 8 of 8 Posts