Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 GT

Okay I decided to start a new thread since it has been a few days and the problem has been narrowed down a little more. After spending a day tracing wires and fuses I have come to realize that my turn signals were not blowing fuses. Whenever I press the brake pedal it pops the fuse that controls the turn signals/hazards. The running lights / rear tail lights and blinkers work with a new fuse but the brake light does not (they short the circuit). We noticed the sockets for the license plate where both melted/corroded however we bypassed the sockets and the brake is still blowing fuses. We then disconnected the tail light assemblies from the harness on the rear in case it was a tail lamp or bulb causing the short however there was no luck, it was still blowing the fuse. Any ideas on what else to check?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
dont bypass the melter ares, replace them. Sometimes Ford uses multiple wires to run ground and leads from other 12v sources. Its like tapping into 1 12v source going to the rear of the car instead of running 14 for each different thing back there. Make sure your grounds are grounded and you may have some inline fuses along the way but Im not sure where they would be on your 94. Tear out all the lining in the trunk area and start searching everything, if this problem persists you can make a jumper, but I do not recommend this unless you are in a last ditch effort to get the thing working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lcurle said:
dont bypass the melter ares, replace them. Sometimes Ford uses multiple wires to run ground and leads from other 12v sources. Its like tapping into 1 12v source going to the rear of the car instead of running 14 for each different thing back there. Make sure your grounds are grounded and you may have some inline fuses along the way but Im not sure where they would be on your 94. Tear out all the lining in the trunk area and start searching everything, if this problem persists you can make a jumper, but I do not recommend this unless you are in a last ditch effort to get the thing working.
what we did for the sockets was physically attach a light bulb to the wires to complete the circuit just in case it could have been causing the problem. I will be going to the junk yard Monday to find replacements. As for the trunk area, I tore out all the lining and followed the harness all the way into the cabin area. No fuses, no exposed wires.

When you say you can always make a jumper as a last resort, what are you referring to?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Have you checked the brake light switch?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
making a jumper wire is not safe, and could cause electrical fires so Im not condoning this. But all you do is take a peice of high temp wire and find the fuse that is blowing and insert the wire where the fuse used to go, thus completing the circuit, for good no matter what the amperage. If there is to much currant then some electrical may and could melt. Hence the not safe, and I don't recommend this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pcfrisch said:
Have you checked the brake light switch?
IS this the switch that is directly attached to the brake pedal? If so I have not replaced it yet. I noticed if I unplugged it and press the brake pedal it does not pop the fuse however that could still be anything since that plug is just the first step in the brake's eletrical circuit.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
have you tried disconnecting the lights and then hitting the pedal? see if that is blowing the fuse, if it is still blowing the fuse keep going further up the wire and disconnect elsewhere and try again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lcurle said:
have you tried disconnecting the lights and then hitting the pedal? see if that is blowing the fuse, if it is still blowing the fuse keep going further up the wire and disconnect elsewhere and try again.
Yeah, I disconnected the harness in the trunk right around the back seat where it comes in to determine if the cause was a bulb or socket. Unfortunatly it was still popping fuses. Guess I'll start tearing apart the interior to see what else I can find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.