Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new 06 Gt on Monday, today before i cleaned I noticed alot of brake dust in the wheel well and on the back of the car. Cleaned the car all up drove down the block and brake dust all over the back end again. Anyone else have this and know if its normal? Is there anything i can do to get rid of it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is that what that is??

Ahhh, was wondering what that was collecting on the back bumper... I thought maybe coming from the exhaust during break-in...
After cleaning the car maybe a few days later I can wipe my finger along the bumper and it's like graphite dust, black powder. So it's brake dust huh..
I guess we could just not use the brakes... :winks that would stop it. I'll be looking for something other than stock brake pads when it's time to change...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I prefer not to use the brakes.:happyhapp

Anyone wanna go for a ride with me? No takers, didn't think so. lol

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Before breaks are broken in, they shed more dust.

·
Registered
82 Posts
odd that you say this...

My experience is just the opposite. I've been marveling at how clean my front wheels stay compared to other cars I've owned. I've been thinking that Ford uses low dust brake pads. Just wondering... could it be something else, like maybe clutch dust or road grime?

·
Registered
183 Posts
06GT4me said:
Ahhh, was wondering what that was collecting on the back bumper...
Odd thing is I was showing my car last week and this exact topic came up with a few of us stang guys talking. (Picture 3-4 hard-core car guys having a detailed discussion on car dust!) I got talking to a 04 Cobra guy and he tells me a friend of his had the time & money to sample the "dust" on the rear end and send it to a lab for testing. We all thought it was break dust and thought that the guy was crazy for spending money to actually test it. Well, it's not. In fact 95% of it is normal road particles, mostly asphalt, and the rest is dirt and other items normally found in nature. A very small percent was actually brake dust. It sticks to the rear bumper due to the nature of how air comes off the roof and sides to create a vacuum in the rear (i.e. drag). The air suspended particles get pulled back against the pumper.

So ends the "Bill Nye The Science Guy" explanation.:thumbsup

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hmmmm.....

It's a Mustang, not a Ferrari. I ain't worried about it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Gee, I thought I was the only one....I chalked it up the rediculous amount of road construction I drive through.

I thought that I wasn't getting much brake dust on my bullet wheels - until i washed them!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
fin1 said:

Lol good job!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep, brakes need to have a slight glaze to them before they start to really work well and stop shedding so much dust.

tw0scoops123 said:
Before breaks are broken in, they shed more dust.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are the stock brake pads semi-metallic, or 100% ceramic.

·
Registered
184 Posts
fin1 said:
Odd thing is I was showing my car last week and this exact topic came up with a few of us stang guys talking. (Picture 3-4 hard-core car guys having a detailed discussion on car dust!) I got talking to a 04 Cobra guy and he tells me a friend of his had the time & money to sample the "dust" on the rear end and send it to a lab for testing. We all thought it was break dust and thought that the guy was crazy for spending money to actually test it. Well, it's not. In fact 95% of it is normal road particles, mostly asphalt, and the rest is dirt and other items normally found in nature. A very small percent was actually brake dust. It sticks to the rear bumper due to the nature of how air comes off the roof and sides to create a vacuum in the rear (i.e. drag). The air suspended particles get pulled back against the pumper.

HA! So THAT's why I have to wipe my Pony's butt every weekend! The front and sides are always fine, but the haunches, phew! I wondered why it got so much dirtier so much faster than our other vehicles. Even the diesel VW doesn't need washing every single weekend...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Zrullac said:
Are the stock brake pads semi-metallic, or 100% ceramic.
semi-metallic

·
Registered
5,818 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, I know I usually but an extra coat of wax on the hood,roof and trunk of my cars.....due to sun and rain taking their toll.

I wonder if a good wax like that DuPont Teflon, or TechWax that are supposed to let everything slide off would aid?????
Maybe a double layer of wax on the rear bumber will help it slide/blow off easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts