Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the instructions for 5.0 EFI performance tune, it says you can use carb cleaner or brake fluid to clean the intake by infusing it into the tube running from the oil filler neck to the throttle body. Is this correct? Brake fluid?? Or is that a typo and it meant to say brake cleaner?

Link here:
Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Maintenance and Tune Up: EFI Tuning part 1

·
Registered
617 Posts
I clean my upper and lower intake every third season by removing them and using ford's recommended plenum cleaner.The ford dealer told me that those intakes are coated with something to make the air less turbulent and that carb and brake clean will destroy this coating. I find most of the gunk ends up in the upper plenum and they are really easy to clean.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Brake fluid is tough on everything I wouldnt use it has to be a typo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
NEVER use brake fluid as a cleaner. It is corrosive over time. Those instructions can not be correct.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just to make sure we are talking about two different things. Theres brake fluid and brake cleaner. I think you meant to say carb or brake cleaner.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It does not seem as though it was a typo..... although I would never try it.

If you read all the steps, it says to either spray in the carb cleaner, or immerse the hose into the brake fluid bottle. That makes it seem as though they did in fact mean brake fluid.

G

·
It does not seem as though it was a typo..... although I would never try it.

If you read all the steps, it says to either spray in the carb cleaner, or immerse the hose into the brake fluid bottle. That makes it seem as though they did in fact mean brake fluid.

Ok who is going to volunteer to try it.......:smartass:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.