Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should you change the brake fluid in a 2011+ Mustang? I can't find anything about it in the manual. My old Honda used to say change once every 3 years regardless of mileage. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hearing about some clutch problems from worn-out brake fluid on cars (not just the mustang), the other day, I Mity-Vac'd the fluid from the master cylinder and it was pretty yellow and discolored after 5000 miles. I think the clutch slave cylinder gets pretty hot and helps cook the fluid. The clutch did seem to engage a bit higher off the floor after the change.

My usual routine for brakes is to use the Mity-Vac at the calipers and vacuum until fresh brake fluid appears. On cars I do it every two years, on my bikes, every year. Since the Mustang's fluid seemed pretty gunky, I'm going to do the master cyclinder every 5000 miles and the calipers every two years. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
407 Posts
brake fluid

Some of the clutch issues could be fluid related (I know the vettes had this issue) so I converted my car to Super Blue fluid. It took about 2 qts and I have the motive power bleeder with the aluminum ford adapter. Made bleeding a breeze.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Brake Fluid Change

As a rule of thumb for a daily driver change the fluid in the entire system every two (2) years. If you beat the snot out of your car and it sees hard brake action. EVERY YEAR.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If I know I've boiled it... then the next weekend. If it felt good during the season, then I just wait until the next April when it's prepped again for track

1 - 5 of 5 Posts