Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I just installed blue LED brake lights on my Mustang. I noticed as soon as I plugged them in, the LEDs lit at a low level. If you actually press the brake pedal, the light intensity increases dramatically, but there always seems to be a small current to the bulbs. Is this normal??? I don't want a battery drain, but I'm thinking that a barely lit LED bulb probably draws no more than the blinking alarm light. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just as a matter of note blue lights on a personal vehicle are illegal.

The brake lights are controlled by the smart junction box (SJB). A small leakage current of a few hundred microamps flows out of it even when the brake lights are off. This current is far too weak for an incandescent bulb to give off any light, but LEDs are efficient enough to give off a faint glow from it. A simple solution is to mount a resistor in parallel with the LEDs to shunt the current around them. You will probably need resistors anyways as your turn signals will flash at an abnormal rate since the normal incandescent load isn’t present with the LEDs. That is, unless you like a fast blink rate.

·
Registered
289 Posts
stars couldnt have put it better

just gona go ahead and restate that blue lights on a civilan car are quite illegal

buddy of mine had a joke blue light that he could plug into his cig lighter, he turned it on one time behind a friend to mess with him, cop saw... big ticket

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I actually misspoke, they are not brake light bulbs but the little bulbs that illuminate when you put your car in reverse. Given the number of cars I see driving around with full tint, no front plates, and other violations, I think I will take my chances on the backup lights and keep the regular bulbs in the glove box on that off chance I get flagged. :shiny:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks, I actually misspoke, they are not brake light bulbs but the little bulbs that illuminate when you put your car in reverse. Given the number of cars I see driving around with full tint, no front plates, and other violations, I think I will take my chances on the backup lights and keep the regular bulbs in the glove box on that off chance I get flagged. :shiny:
Be careful Beaw.....I'm right down the road from you (Carlsbad) & had a couple cold ones & got pulled over for no front license plate.....was only a .04 :hihi:

We should get together for a cruise sometime :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Hey all, you got me nervous now, I guess I better not install the blue LED license plate light I currently have on order from Ebay.

Hey Eric, love your ride BTW. I'll send you a private EM soonest, we need to cruze!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.