Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 with drum brakes in the front and disc brakes in the rear. The other day while retrieving a stuck roomba from under the car I noticed what I believe is the metering valve on top of the rear axle. Two brake lines go into it and a a rubber hose comes off the top. Unfortunately for me the rubber hose is split. What surprised me was that no brake fluid was spewing out and the brakes work as well as they every had. Does this valve just work through air pressure? Is reattaching hose and maybe clamping it all I need to do? Picture attached. Also, thankful to find this site.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
You are looking at 2 entirely different parts, if you pull off the remaining rubber piece on the differential housing you will see there is a nipple seating there. If you unbolt the nipple you can remove the break line connector, like i wrote before these are 2 totally different parts working independently from each other.

J

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The metal block you see is simply a junction block for the brake lines. It has a mounting hole through its center and is held to the axle housing with a hollow bolt which serves as a breather port for the axle. The pressure reducing valve for a disc brake system is up front near the master cylinder without any hose since no liquid should come out of it unless it needs repair/replacement. The hose stub you see is part of the axle breather function and has nothing to do with your brakes. Some axle oil might come out of that hose occasionally which is why the hose was tucked into a hole in the nearby metal. As you can see, usually nothing will come out of, or go into that breather except air.

BTW, if you have anything similar to factory brakes you have drums in the rear and discs in the front. Doing it the other way around would not make any sense and I don't know of any car ever produced that way.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I like to put a cheap inline fuel filter on that vent line and zip-tie it onto the top of the axle tube. That keeps dirt out of the axle lubricant and if some reason some escapes out the vent it is captured in the paper filter element instead of leaking onto the pavement.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I like to put a cheap inline fuel filter on that vent line and zip-tie it onto the top of the axle tube. That keeps dirt out of the axle lubricant and if some reason some escapes out the vent it is captured in the paper filter element instead of leaking onto the pavement.
Keep the end up where it belongs and it won't leak out any... unless your car is upside down and then a little spilled gear oil is the least of your troubles. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts