Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2008 Bullitt and it is time for me to get some brake pads. I have stock right now. Stock rear rotors with wearever rotors up front (so basically crappy yet long lasting rotors). I am looking to for pads with more stopping power, brake dust is not my first concern seeing how the bullitt wheels are dark and I wash the car a lot, but low dust is nice, so if I can get that too great! Please give me some recommendations. What pads are you running, how do you like them, what is best? What are the best kind of compounds? I do not plan on taking the car to the track, but I do drive it pretty hard and I do need something with a little better stopping power. I am looking at the Hawk HPS. Some people like them, while others hate them. I am worried that they may cost too much and only offer good performance when warm. I am not looking to upgrade rotors yet.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
You'll get about 2134 different answers, most of them valid.

You won't really get more stopping power from a certain compound over another, unless we're talking race pads over ceramics, or something like that. Good tires will really give you better stopping power.

All that said, for a street car my go-to is the Carbotech 1521.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Powerstop Complete Brake Kit, Free Shipping on Power Stop Rotors & Brake Pad Kits

I got these and Im prety satisfied with them. I even drove my mustang around with front brakes only for a bit while I was awaiting parts to finish my rear brake disc conversion, stopping power was still great. Cant comment on pad life expectancy though, I havent put more then I wanna say 6k miles on them. Still got good meat on the pads though...

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Before you install new pads, make sure the rotors aren't grooved otherwise it's better to have those refaced first. The Hawk ceramic pads (not HPS) would be great for street use with spirited driving.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The first pad upgrade I did on my '08 GT was HPS, and I wasn't at all satisfied with their initial bite (significantly weaker than the HPS pads I had on two other cars). A step up to HP+ (fronts only) with an eye to occasional track use was a huge improvement in bite. And if you don't like the rotors you currently have, the HP+ will take care of that for you in about a year's time.

I like the Carbotech line, but since I do a little tracking and because it's still enough of a PITA to swap the standard GT brake pads I've been leaving whatever track pads on for my daily driving. I was on XP8's all through last winter (dusty, sometimes noisy, fair to decent cold bite). This year it's XP10's (outgrew the 8's at the track, the 10's are dusty, sometimes noisy, and they definitely need more heat than many/most people would have the patience to work with).

Norm

·
Registered
50 Posts
The stock pads on my 12' are not that great, I switched them out for some Hawk HPS pads and noticed much better braking, at the cost of a little more dust ( I have black wheels so all is good in that department :) ). I buy all of my brake parts from KNS Brakes, they are easy to work with and have good prices.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Right now I'm just using Napa adaptive one on cheap slotted rotors. Call me crazy but I like em'. They stop well and last a long time. I don't believe the break department is the strongest on s197's so unless you change rotors and pads you won't notice a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well

I have used the Hawk on other vehicles and they do well with the Mustang. I have been running them a little less than a year on the 06 GT 5 speed and the overall performance has added better control. I'm running Goodyear F1 tires.

I will add that when I did the brakes, I started with new rotors OEM, Russell lines, Hawk HPS+, Russell speed bleeders, and fluid change.

T Wayne

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have not done my brakes yet, but have gotten a lot of positive reviews of the Hawk Ceramics from a lot of Mustang owners.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You should ask yourself whether the reasons those Mustang owners gave them such good reviews, and decide how well that matches up with what you demand from your car's brakes. In general, ceramics trade away brake 'bite' in exchange for reduced dusting - so make sure that fits your needs.

It's a good idea generally to look at individual customer product reviews that way, because we don't all use the same products the same way or look for the same characteristics to have top priority. Car consumables and wear parts in particular.

Norm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts