Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys looking for a good set of brake an rotors. My rear brakes are starting to get squeaky looking for a nice looking functional set of brakes. I definitely drive pretty rough so long lasting under stress would be nice but not an arm an leg. And while the tires an brakes are off should I get anything in that area to do as well (as these will be shopped installed) so while there off should I add anything else to the demands lol Thanks for the help ! 馃檪

Update: Decided to go with Power Stop Z23 Street kit ! Thanks for all the suggestions an help

Registered
There are so many options for pads, it is hard to narrow it down. Some things to decide on, to narrow it down:
- is low dust a priority; or would you favor performance over clean wheels?
- do you plan to do any road track driving?
- do you want low cost or OK with spending a bit more to get a "better" pad, even though you might not see a big difference?

For the rotors, I would just go with OEM equivalents. I believe "Centric" makes the original rotors, and you can buy them from rockauto or others. I think the nice coated ones are worth the few extra dollars, they look a lot nicer and resist corrosion better than the uncoated ones.

Reactions: huberoy123

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
There are so many options for pads, it is hard to narrow it down. Some things to decide on, to narrow it down:
- is low dust a priority; or would you favor performance over clean wheels?
- do you plan to do any road track driving?
- do you want low cost or OK with spending a bit more to get a "better" pad, even though you might not see a big difference?

For the rotors, I would just go with OEM equivalents. I believe "Centric" makes the original rotors, and you can buy them from rockauto or others. I think the nice coated ones are worth the few extra dollars, they look a lot nicer and resist corrosion better than the uncoated ones.
i mean I don鈥檛 have a problem with brake dust I wash the car at least twice to three times a month and With the brakes I have now I use Armor All Brake Dust Repellant an works pretty good from what I鈥檝e used. My 2 biggest concern is just 1. noise That鈥檚 my issue with my front set they sound like the brake shield is rubbing up against the rotor making a very obnoxious noise when turning right but after inspection the mechanic said it鈥檚 the pad meeting the rotor. From a lot of stop an go on side streets the rotor warped a bit an makes the noise. And then 2. Would be the discoloration that occurs after the car sits for a little. So I was looking around an I saw some on American muscle for like 250 -300 for front an rear set I鈥檇 be okay with but obviously I鈥檇 rather take in suggestions from the forum of tested an reliable sets. Then just kind of wining it based on a few reviews an a price.

Registered
Replacing the pads will fix the noise, that is the wear indicator telling you that it is time for new pads.

It is very unusual to actually warp a rotor, but they don't cost much to replace. I think the basic Centric rotors are about $30/each and the nice coated ones are $60/each, or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Drilled and/or slotted rotors do look cool if you're into that, but don't offer any real performance advantages, especially on the street. They do cost a bit more so you'll have to decide if the look is worth the extra money.

There is no way to stop the rust on the surface of the rotors. Even if that area was coated, the coating would soon be worn off by the brakes. I do think the higher grade rotors might rust a little less than the cheap ones.

Hopefully someone else can recommend specific pads, I don't have any real preferences on street pads. I did have good experience with Stop Tech Street Performance pads, and the price is very reasonable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Replacing the pads will fix the noise, that is the wear indicator telling you that it is time for new pads.

It is very unusual to actually warp a rotor, but they don't cost much to replace. I think the basic Centric rotors are about $30/each and the nice coated ones are $60/each, or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Drilled and/or slotted rotors do look cool if you're into that, but don't offer any real performance advantages, especially on the street. They do cost a bit more so you'll have to decide if the look is worth the extra money.

There is no way to stop the rust on the surface of the rotors. Even if that area was coated, the coating would soon be worn off by the brakes. I do think the higher grade rotors might rust a little less than the cheap ones.

Hopefully someone else can recommend specific pads, I don't have any real preferences on street pads. I did have good experience with Stop Tech Street Performance pads, and the price is very reasonable.
thanks for the advice an input ! 馃槃

1 - 7 of 7 Posts