Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't been here in a LONG time. Hope everyone is well and having a great holiday.

I have had to have 05 towed in twice for a problem with the either the brakes or the emergency brake sticking. The car will hardly move. The second time she was towed she was also wrecked by the tow truck driver :/

Anyway, the rear brake liners have been replaced but they have yet to fix the true problem. The fix from the last Ford dealership was don't use the emergency brake! I have my doubts about it being the emergency brake because it feels as though it's in the front end. Anyone else encountered this?

Thanks.

Blu

·
Registered
767 Posts
I hang out on 5 different Mustang forum boards. Have seen multiple threads on each board about this issue. Only one thread had any mention of a cause, and no fix resolution. The guy said the dealer told him that mositure is getting up in the ebrake shoes and freezing and that Ford knows about it.

Sounds like male bovine poop to me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I dunno about the shoes sticking thing...I think if that were the case as soon as they break loose that would be it- I really think the cables getting wet inside would be more likely. My trucks froze up a couple times after a carwashin 'too cold for a carwash' weather...it sat high enough I could just reach under and flex the cables a bit and it would release.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the first time I had it in they said there was ice on the emergency break cable. I had not washed the car either time it happened so it would have to be moisture coming up off the road. This is a real problem for me because I go to school in Indianapolis...and it's like the freaking arctic there to me :/

I have brought the car home and am giving my dealership an opportunity to correct the problem and if they can't I may have to get rid of the car.:(:(

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I was always taught not to use the e-brake in cold weather on ANY car. The cable could freeze in the closed position and lock up. If the car is an automatic, leave it in park. If it's manual, park in first or reverse gears. You don't need the e-brake unless you're on a steep incline. As for parking in first or reverse, there's been some debate on this board. I was always taught to park in the reverse gear of the incline. So if you're facing downhill, park in reverse. Uphill, park in first. I hardly ever use the e-brake.
The e-brake also comes in handy if you ever loose power to the vehicle while it's moving. My parents had a 1973 Plymouth Grand Fury station wagon (read tank) which had a problem with the computer shutting the engine off while the car was moving. You'd loose power steering and brakes, but by using the e-brake, you could eventyally stop the car and wrestle the thing to the side of the road. It happened to me just once, and that was enough.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Guy I work with worked at a service shop for a long time, took him for a ride the other day and first thing he said when he saw my e-brake up was 'dont do that in the winter...' guess its not just mustangs.

myltlpony- looked at your pics- youve done almost exactly what I want to do to mine- except I'm thinking like only 70% gloss black...hood, lower valance trim line, slats...only other thing I want is taillamp panel blackout too. after seeing yours even want to get it done more now :)

Darn...guess I'm gonna get called a copycat :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
ford4v429 said:
myltlpony- looked at your pics- youve done almost exactly what I want to do to mine- except I'm thinking like only 70% gloss black...hood, lower valance trim line, slats...only other thing I want is taillamp panel blackout too. after seeing yours even want to get it done more now :)

Darn...guess I'm gonna get called a copycat :)
Go ahead, chances are you'll end up with something slightly different anyway:thumbsup Thanks for the compliments. I thought of using the flat or low luster paint, but just seemed to like the gloss better. It was easier anyway. After the black was applied the entire part was clearcoated which gives an astonishingly deep finish.
I keep going back and forth on the rear black-out panel. I'm kinda leaning toward not using it. I'd rather be understated and I think the blackout panel would just tip it over the edge.
Post pics when you're done. I'd like to see what it would look like overall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've hd this problem. I just drove on it for a couple of minutes and it released. But i felt pretty bad driving while the car was braking.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Funny...a guy I work with had the same problem. I'll have to let him know about this. Thanks!

Do you guys garage-keep your cars, or what? I just dealt with a great Northeast winter and had no problems with the car, but it was garage kept.

·
Registered
208 Posts
vicmeldrew said:
thanks for the link!! now i have had some of these problems but what i am also having is wear if its been really cold outside and when i first put the car in gear it feels really slugglish and has actually stalled on me a few times.. I'm wondering if this is something Ford can fix. Anyone else have that problem where your 05 feels like a mule for the first few miles. and Yes I do let it warm up for 5-10 minutes..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts