Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I like to drive a bit spirited (Save me the legal/safe driver talk, please). I've noticed a noise on a couple of occasions where I would hit the brakes slightly when doing about 100mph. It almost sounds like a Jake Brake on a big rig; somewhat pulsing...The noise would be constant until I let off the brekes. I didn't increase the pressure on the brakes in any of the occassions given that I was going pretty fast and didn't want to risk losing control. Any idea what this is?

It does not occur at all during normal driving, or when I hit the brakes doing about 80mph; It only seems to happen above 100mph. My tires are all properly inflated with Nitrogen (Pony package 18" P-Zero's), and the car has 9k miles on it. I do not hear any noises from the brakes otherwise. The car is completely stock except for the air filter and now the strut brace (The noise occured before and after the strut brace addition).

Thanks in advance for your insight!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Did you have advance trac on/off? or Stability control on/off? I'd try it again and see if one or the other of these are effecting the ABS, as it sounds like, as mentioned above, ABS pulsing............... Plum

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I left traction control on, so it's absolutely possible that it what it was. I'll give it a try with traction control off and see how it fares. I haven't noticed any adverse effects, so I'm assuming it's normal for it to function this way. I'd expect that if it was a major problem, I would have lost a wheel or something...lol

J

·
0 Posts
I had a caliper bolt back out on an older car and the caliper was only being held by one bolt so when I applied the brakes there was a terrible high-speed banging noise. It was an easy fix but it sounded like the car was going to blow up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Joe,

have you then figured out what it is?

I have driven on the German Autobahn this week and I also noticed that the brakes make this truck-like "Jake Brake" noise when slowing down from a very high speed. Mine actually does it when I press harder, to stop the car and/or reduce the speed by a considerable amount, but not hard enough to trigger the ABS!

The car makes absolutely no noise when braking from slower speeds, or when I gently touch the pedal to slow down slightly, even at higher speeds.

The car is used (21k miles, previously driven in Hawaii) so although a bad usage by the previous owner is still possible, being a V6 Convertible I cannot imagine someone killing the brakes in just 21k miles... It can also be the wheel bearings (still too early though!), but then I should hear them all the time, expecially during a bend, which is not the case.

Additionally, the US Ford Dealer just checked it for the 20k Service, they should have noticed an issue in the brakes or discs, if they were too much worn-out... hopefully.

I think I'll have it checked by my dealer, but not too soon as I have a couple of busy weeks, so any hint is welcome.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes, we all have this noise. It is the stock brake pads. They are complete garbage. I recommend upgrading to HAWK ceramic pads (found on american muscle.com) and also getting new rotors because they will warp after some hard braking. Already had my stock rotors replaced twice. Getting new rotors.

The stock brake pads are made from cheap recycled materials (ford saving money) Had it confirmed by a tech, he said they have to consider it as "normal operation". Get the HAWK pads and it will go away. I also highly recommend new rotors.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yup, mine does it too. First noticed it after a pass at the strip. Waiting for something to go wrong with the Ford garbage, then going to upgrade.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Add me to the list. Nothing scarier than coming down from 120+ after a run, and having basically no brakes! Felt like brake-fade to me, but ya'll have it described perfectly, like a jake-brake with pulsating...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never did confirm exactly what the problem was on my end, although it did still happen a few times after I made the original post even with traction control off. I've ran the car up to 150ish on a couple of occasions, and am actually comfortable with the car even with the noise as it still stopped for me with it.

I'm up to 29.5k miles now and the stock brakes are still in good shape; I haven't had any issues with them at all outisde of this noise. I think i'm going to go ahead and order the Hawk pads from AM (I'd been eyeing them previously) as I'm sure I'll be getting to the point of needing to replace them sooner or later. I'll try and post an update after I switch out my pads and get the chance to pop back up to 120ish.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies.

I will be considering a new set of pads and new rotors, I'm already looking around for them, AM is not always the best choice here in Italy since they're not shipping to Europe, so I'm looking elsewhere for the moment

I just wanted to be sure I don't have a damage on my brakes, now that I know that the noise is "normal", I'll select new brakes with more time and consideration.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies.

I will be considering a new set of pads and new rotors, I'm already looking around for them, AM is not always the best choice here in Italy since they're not shipping to Europe, so I'm looking elsewhere for the moment

I just wanted to be sure I don't have a damage on my brakes, now that I know that the noise is "normal", I'll select new brakes with more time and consideration.
You can put brand new GT (READ: BIGGER) brakes on for $125 total, shipped to you door. Look for the upgrade thread. If you are stopping from over 100 mph on any kind of regular bassis, you would be foolish not to.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just as an update to this; I recently had the pleasure of trouncing an Infiniti G37 on a local highway; He had a 4 car length lead from a 40ish roll and I overtook him at about 130ish. We kept running to about 150mph before letting off and parting ways with a wave. I didn't experience any of the Jake Brake vibration like I did previously. Not sure why, but it wasn't there. I just replaced my initial set of Pirelli's with a fresh batch, so maybe the increased grip made a difference or something.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts