Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for months while researching this car and just got the deal of a century last weekend (about $2500 below MSRP!) on my Kona Blue, 101A, MT-82 equipped Mustang. It was a tough decision to buy with all of the transmission complaints I've been reading, but the looks and performance won me over. The car is great, looks like a million bucks and outperforms/out fuel economies any "daily driver" car I've previously owned; including an LT-1 V8 Camaro and several various and sundry V8 Mustangs.

Thanks to all of you, I learned a lot here!

And now the gripes.

Sorry in advance for the long post.

My car has a low speed clunk/jerk going up to and down from 2nd gear. When I cruise slowly with the clutch engaged and gently let off and on the gas, it clunks there too. I've read all about it here and everyone is saying that the dealer says it's a "normal" noise. I find this hard to believe as it sure feels like a bad bearing or some other runout in the trans/clutch assembly. I am 15 years a professional mechanic and opened my own shop 6 months ago so my guesses do come with a little credibility. I mean really, the toploader 4 speed in my '65 has slop like that because the input shaft bearing is worn out. So... should I gripe about it or just let 'er rip?

Another issue: on decel in first or second gear, clutch engaged, I get a momentary "buzz" that sounds like an imbalance somewhere in the drive line. It comes on quick and goes away quick but always seems to happen as soon as the (super annoying) throttle hang starts to decrease and the car decelerates down past about 2000 RPM. Is this "normal?" Anyone else getting that? It will also do it going into second gear at light throttle/low RPM situations. Blah.

Aaaaaaand another issue: I am a bigger guy, 270 and 6 feet tall. I've only gotten into and out of my car about 30 times and the seat is squeaky already. I'm careful getting in and out and don't lean on the backrest or anything. Moving the manual "seat crank" up one notch from the bottom lessens the noise but it is still there. I plan on bringing it up to the dealer at the 1000 mile inspection.

Yet another: The A/C seems to cut in and out a lot. At medium fan, I'll feel it go warm (compressor turns off) about every 2 minutes at cruising speeds, and every time I'm coming to a stop. Once again, if someone came it to my shop griping about this on their car, I'd be inclined to top off their freon. Any similar stories?

At 312 miles as it sits in my garage right now, the check's cleared the dealer and it's allll mine, I sure hope this stuff is "normal."
If I'm being too nitpicky about an inexpensive car, just give me a virtual smack; I know it ain't a BMW, but my '87 5.0 5 speed gave me none of these problems. Hmph.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for months while researching this car and just got the deal of a century last weekend (about $2500 below MSRP!) on my Kona Blue, 101A, MT-82 equipped Mustang. It was a tough decision to buy with all of the transmission complaints I've been reading, but the looks and performance won me over. The car is great, looks like a million bucks and outperforms/out fuel economies any "daily driver" car I've previously owned; including an LT-1 V8 Camaro and several various and sundry V8 Mustangs.

And now the gripes.

My car has a low speed clunk/jerk going up to and down from 2nd gear. When I cruise slowly with the clutch engaged and gently let off and on the gas, it clunks there too. I've read all about it here and everyone is saying that the dealer says it's a "normal" noise. I find this hard to believe as it sure feels like a bad bearing or some other runout in the trans/clutch assembly. I am 15 years a professional mechanic and opened my own shop 6 months ago so my guesses do come with a little credibility. I mean really, the toploader 4 speed in my '65 has slop like that because the input shaft bearing is worn out. So... should I gripe about it or just let 'er rip?

Another issue: on decel in first or second gear, clutch engaged, I get a momentary "buzz" that sounds like an imbalance somewhere in the drive line. It comes on quick and goes away quick but always seems to happen as soon as the (super annoying) throttle hang starts to decrease and the car decelerates down past about 2000 RPM. Is this "normal?" Anyone else getting that? It will also do it going into second gear at light throttle/low RPM situations. Blah.

Aaaaaaand another issue: I am a bigger guy, 270 and 6 feet tall. I've only gotten into and out of my car about 30 times and the seat is squeaky already. I'm careful getting in and out and don't lean on the backrest or anything. Moving the manual "seat crank" up one notch from the bottom lessens the noise but it is still there. I plan on bringing it up to the dealer at the 1000 mile inspection.

Yet another: The A/C seems to cut in and out a lot. At medium fan, I'll feel it go warm (compressor turns off) about every 2 minutes at cruising speeds, and every time I'm coming to a stop. Once again, if someone came it to my shop griping about this on their car, I'd be inclined to top off their freon. Any similar stories?

At 312 miles as it sits in my garage right now, the check's cleared the dealer and it's allll mine, I sure hope this stuff is "normal."
If I'm being too nitpicky about an inexpensive car, just give me a virtual smack; I know it ain't a BMW, but my '87 5.0 5 speed gave me none of these problems. Hmph.
I am a big guy also and the squeaky seat is not normal. I have not had my car for long, but definately have been in and out more than 30 times and my seat still feels brand new. The air is also a real issue. It is made to cut back during hard acceleration, but never during decelleration or cruising speeds. I cannot speak on the other issues as I have no idea what could be causing the clunk and whizz sound you have.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
You are not alone. Happens to me as well, but I think it may be related to this:
1st to 4th gear skip shift "technology" on the 2011 Mustang 5.0 | MustangBlogger

I know a custom tune can get rid of it and there is also mention of a fuse bypass in that article that can disable it as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
LOL did you check to see if it said 'Camaro' anywhere on the side ?

Seriously though, I admire your attention to detail. But where was that when you were at the dealership? Did they let you test drive the car at all? Did they even let you inside it? Dealerships dont make too much money on these new cars so 2k+ below msrp is a red flag not including special offers. And this is a new never been sold 2012 right ? or it could be an 11 and they just calling it a 12lol. How many miles did it have when you took posession?

To answer your question, no none of what you mention is normal. The mustang i own is flawless other than the flaws i put on it myseslf. Nothing shakes, rattles or rolls, all the spaces inbetween panels are even, my seats dont squeak, it cruzes and accel smoothly so on and so on.

I guess you get what you pay for at least your a grease monky and can fix it yourself. You could of probably talked the price down more if you had noticed the problems at least another 2k if your good, call it Lot Rot.

Is this your first new car?

/rambleoff

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a bit of extra lag or a audable thud when its brand new but you should know the differnce break in and broken due to your background. When i test drove my car i took it all they way up to its capped speed of 115 and the lag as well as the thud decreased in suverity and notablity vary quickly. And no there was no sales person in the car with me, the dealership knows us enough to let us go out in there cars alone.

I im sry in advance if i seem a bit agressive but ive always found this site and camaros site amusing as camaro guys like to troll on here and cause drama lol. If you arnt one, im sorry. If something dont feel right when you first get in it dont buy it right away, look into it and ask alot of questions especailly why its maked down 2k LOL?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hey, I get subtle "clunks" when shifting sometimes too. I've eveperienced the decel shudder only a couple of times and frankly I haven't noticed any decel rev hanging. I'm not gonna worry about it. The damn car is amazing. Mine shifts great, drives great, runs very smooth, takes off when I hammer it and is a total blast to drive.

·
Registered
203 Posts
LOL did you check to see if it said 'Camaro' anywhere on the side ?

Seriously though, I admire your attention to detail. But where was that when you were at the dealership? Did they let you test drive the car at all? Did they even let you inside it? Dealerships dont make too much money on these new cars so 2k+ below msrp is a red flag not including special offers. And this is a new never been sold 2012 right ? or it could be an 11 and they just calling it a 12lol. How many miles did it have when you took posession?

To answer your question, no none of what you mention is normal. The mustang i own is flawless other than the flaws i put on it myseslf. Nothing shakes, rattles or rolls, all the spaces inbetween panels are even, my seats dont squeak, it cruzes and accel smoothly so on and so on.

I guess you get what you pay for at least your a grease monky and can fix it yourself. You could of probably talked the price down more if you had noticed the problems at least another 2k if your good, call it Lot Rot.

Is this your first new car?

/rambleoff

i bought my car 8months ago 1800dollar under INVOICE:winks
BRAND NEW

F

·
0 Posts

And now the gripes.

Hello IbleedBlue,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. Sorry to hear about these issues you are having with your new Stang. I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer as soon as possible for a full diagnosis. Please make an appointment with them and message me with your contact info, VIN, and dealer name so I can help you as well.

Deysha

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha no, I am not a troll. I have owned my share of both Camaros and Mustangs, and honestly I was seriously considering a similarly-equipped V6 Camaro... until I drove one. What a POS. Can't see out of it. Squeaked and rattled more than my 1984 Camaro (120,000 miles with T-tops) did.

Yes, my car is a brand new 2012. It had 190 miles when I took posession as the dealer had to transport it from south central IL, when it left the dealer they got it from it had 20 miles on it. I even talked to the guy who drove it up, an elderly gentleman who I'm sure was not hammering on it. All highway anyway. I double checked the emissions sticker and build date to make sure it was a 2012... built 5/11.

I spent a month haggling with several dealers via the internet to get that price and it did include $1500 in incentives. I paid cash. $24,058.11 out the door ($1900 of that is tax), 101A and security package. I think I did pretty good even considering the problems I'm having.

I did drive the car for about 10 miles and didn't notice any of this stuff. It all started at about 250. The A/C issue may have been there but it was a mild day when I picked the car up and I didn't have it turned on. Really haven't abused the car, a couple of agressive upshifts 1-2 and some full throttle runs in 3rd up to the limiter, but no burnouts, drifting, etc.

Yes, this is my first new car, but I've driven plenty of them. Four years as a Lincoln/Mercury mechanic got me seat time for PDI in many, many brand new Ford built cars so I know what to expect.

This is also a landmark vehicle for me as it is #60 that I have owned in my 35 years on this planet.

Deysha, you will be hearing from me!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have all the same things described.Clunking when pushing the clutch in at low speeds especially reverse,squeaky seat (raised it up and took care of it and I weigh 220),ac cutting in and out,crunchy shifting,rear fascia pulling out from around the tail light area.Also took to dealer when I first got it because I could hear a tapping noise that came from the shifter when cruising down the interstate.Told it was normal.Fixed it buy dynamatting around the shifter area.All in all just annoyances.Still love the car.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Oh yeah,also have the decel vibration at around 2300 rpm's.That is apparently something to do with the dual mass flywheel.Still considered "normal" though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dang, well im sorry man. I had a short fuse at that moment. But still i would be really pissed if all that just started happening on a new car lol. Im sorry that your first new car had to turn out this way. There is alot of help and support around here. Yeah get with Deysha and sort things out and keep us posted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have all the same things described.
Seriously!? Dam. . .
Mine does not do any of thouse things except the slight thudding when i first got it. Its all gone now. There was a squeek once in the motor and i did take it to the dealership and they apologize to me. They said it was a belt and replaced it no problem sence. I can get pretty evil when im unhappy about something, not proud of it v.v

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All in all just annoyances.Still love the car.
Yeah, I love mine too. Gonna wait until the 1k inspection to air all my gripes, see if any of them get worse or better.

apoptgjssr or whatever, no harm and no foul dude.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the 2nd gear clunk. Just got a new job where I'm not familiar with the surrounding roads. Took a wrong turn down a street by a school or something, where there were literally large, wide speed bumps.

My car is lowered, so I slow down to around 10 MPH to go over it. I would put it in neutral, slow down, go over it, engage 2nd, then rinse and repeat. Every single time I engaged second from neutral there was a clunk sound. Sometimes, even when I pressed down on the clutch pedal to disengage before shifting to neutral it would clunk.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It is normal. If you think it is excessive take it in to your dealer and have them verify the ring and pinion backlash and check the driveshaft slip yoke for play. I will tell you that I have this from time to time and I have had it in all my manual cars and every single RWD maual car I have ever driven.

Think about the aggressive fuel cut on deceleration and the load you are inducing into your engine, as it is being forcefully driven by your tires... An engine is an air pump, right? With the aggressive fuel cuts on deceleration/the lean burn strategy of the fuel system, the ETB closing slowly, and the engine being loaded up/driven by the tires/vehicle at an increasing RPM, especially below 2,000RPM...

Ditto

I can't answer your question on cruise, but at stop the reason the AC may get warmer is to help not promote a situation of stalling... the AC compressor may be turning off/disengaging on quick/abrupt or hard stops as a "just in case" as to not help induce a stall. (Yes I know the PCM can command the idle be increased).

:sterb:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hm, I'd never consider clunks like the ones my car makes to be "normal." After years of RWD manual trans cars I've come to expect a certain feel from them and this Mustang breaks all the rules in both good and bad ways.
However, the general consensus seems to be that these cars just do clunk, so that's fine. I guess I should be happy that I don't have all the shifting and grinding issues that everyone else seems to be having... at least not yet.

Mountain I will disagree with you only on two counts: the driveline vibe on decel, if induced by cut fuel at closed throttle, would happen consistently from start to finish; not at a certain RPM and go away. An A/C compressor, if it cycles at all, would have no reason to be be cycled off during return to base idle. I understand that it's probably a Ford engineering thing put in place for a reason, but the on/off/on/off A/C BS is getting to me.

Once again, these seem to be common problems, so I'll live with em. The 12 inch subs and 2000 watt mono amp I'm installing tomorrow will mask most of the badness anyway.
Plus I honestly don't want the dealer ripping into my brand new car to replace major parts unless absolutely necessary. It's only new once, and I've turned wrenches at Ford dealers... seen some things that would make you never want to bring your car to one. I'm seriously considering fixing the car myself so mine are the only hands that ever touch it. Stupid maybe.. but it is what it is.

I am happy with my car. Still glad I bought it, everyone loves it and can't believe how nice it rides and how much power it makes.
I just wish all the amazingness of its performance and economy numbers didn't come with the asterisks of shoddy build quality reminiscent of 80's Chrysler K cars (seriously, even aside from the squeaky seat, I've had to pop several trim panels back on the car already, and the paint has so much orange peel it's astounding), mysterious vibrations and clunks, a horribly written throttle strategy, and a big fat question mark on the POS Chinese transmission; the latter being something that Ford ought to fix and fix fast before people start getting really mad. Just like the V8 SHO fiasco, however, I have doubt they'll stand behind it.

Too bad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry man, I think they just sold you a "bad" car, defective. Every Ford my family has owned has never had problems. I haven't seen internal parts comparisons of mustang vs. camaro, but I know Ford whips Chevy in parts quality for the F-150 and absolutely puts Dodge to shame in parts quality for trucks.

Personally I am surprised that your car is having problems like that. That is not of Ford quality and you should raise so much hell that they give you a new one. That is ridiculous with the original posted problems along with things like trim panels falling off.

Good luck sir

1 - 18 of 18 Posts