Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

On November 2nd, 2011 we purchased a 2011 Mustang GT California Special.
The vehicle had been on the lot for over a year and we got a great deal on it. I can't remember the exact mileage but it was over 250 when we bought it. Another thing was that one of the guys said "Hey! You FINALLY sold that GT/CS!?!"

Recently, we noticed a discoloration in the front and rear bumpers. It is almost a cream white and the rest of the car is snow white. I know that bumpers have slight discoloration because they are plastic, but these 2 are Very noticeable.
We took the vehicle into a Ford Dealer (not the one we bought it from) and they said they have never seen this before. Ford agreed that it was unusual and agreed to paint it.
After we left, we remembered that our Auto Body guy said that he noticed the condenser was bent like a banana when he put on our sticker.
We went back and they looked at the vehicle and said there is evidence that it has been in a wreck. Because of this, Ford is going to void the warranty on the bumpers.

So here is what we found - A bent condenser, discoloration on the bumpers, appears that someone wet sanded the wheel well covers, possible overspray on the condenser "shrad" and on the grill parts. Another major thing that we found is that the grille had, what appeared to be, aftermarket stickers on it. There are 2 that can be seen easily and one that is hidden on the right side. I usually don't see stickers on the grille and when I do, it says - FOMOCO . Not an aftermarket little tiny sticker. :?:

We have went to 3 different dealers and they all say that there is evidence of a small wreck. The ford dealer that we bought it at is denying everything but agrees that something happened. They are saying there is no record of it ever being in a wreck. :nono:

Ford does not want to get involved but they are going to send out a representative to check out the car. Ford says that it is all under the dealer, they are not responsible.

If it was just one item on the car, Ford would fix it and we would be on our way. But there is evidence and multiple signs that something happened. Either a minor accident during a test drive or something happened during transport. We also thought that maybe they sold it to someone else, person didn't like it and sent it back; the dealer then sold it back as brand new. And also, is there ANY way that odometers can be set back these days??

What I want to know is what you guys think. Do you think it could have been in a wreck and they didn't disclose the information? Does anyone with a GT/CS have those stickers on the grille?? Also, the dealer told us the GT/CS grille is a special edition and they have to get a special one. BUT, I have seen this Same Grille on the V6. It is a V6 grille, so it should have Ford stickers on it or no stickers on it at all. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help everyone!

The pictures show the stickers on the grille, wheel well cover, bent condenser, discoloration on the bumpers (hard to see), the V6/GTCS Grille, and possible overspray.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Normal characteristic... I promise... Mine are the same way, performance white car, creme brulee bumpers, other pref white owners have mentioned the same thing... your vehicle was likely never wrecked if it's just your bumpers...

PM me your email if you want pictures.

EDIT: My car had little stickers like that as well, as you can see, I've replace a few front end pieces:bigthumbsup. The bent condenser is another story(no way of knowing how it was bent)....... For me to be 100% certain either way I'd have to see the car. You can also PM me your VIN and I will pull a carfax, but it will likely not show anything if it was repaired without any police reports or insurance claims..... Any better pics of the overspray?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think it's normal as well. The discolor is because the bumper is plastic. They age differently from the rest of the car (metal).

·
Registered
830 Posts
The grille and stickers are normal. Sometimes there is overspray from the factory. And the condenser can get bent from rocks and road debris. The only thing really off is the wheel well and the bumper. The bumper is obviously a defect and should be covered. The wheel well could be from some damage incurred during a test drive, but if it's already fixed, no biggie.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
BTW, you have a good looking car and welcome to AFM...

:welcomewagon:

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
I think if something hit that condenser, the fins themselves would show a lot of damage, and from what I can tell, they do not. May have just distorted in manufacturing or assembly. I'd get Ford to replace if you can.

I'd be more concerned about that gas stain below your fill door :).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dude:

Please tell us which Ford dealer sold you this Mustang as a new car. :p

I almost bought a "new" 2011 Mustang from a Denver Area Ford dealer . They told me that it was a new car that had 800 miles on it. And all of these miles were made by the dealer's sales manager driving from and to the dealership daily from home. Careful miles. A very detailed and long story of careful driving by the 65 year old sales manager! :nogrinner

I did a Carfax on this "new" Mustang's VIN and found out that it had a wreck in California and was repaired and the driver's side quarter panel was repainted. I went back to the dealer's management and asked how this could happen-I was told that my salesman and his boss must have confused my "new" car with another actually really new Mustang!:nono: This occurred in November 2010.

Tell us the Denver area Ford dealer that sold you this new car of yours-I bet that it is the same dealer that tried to sell me this repaired wreck. They acted surprised that I found out the history of this "new" car.

Give the first letter and last letter of the Dealer's name- if you dont want to give the dealer's name- to protect other Denver area prospective Mustang buyers! .

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not just one thing though. There are MULTIPLE signs of a possible wreck. Especially if an auto body guy tells me as well as 3 other dealer service managers.
What they think is that it was damaged and they replaced everything. The condenser was put back in wrong we think because there was no fin damage. So either ford put it in wrong or it was damaged and replaced wrong.

But the stickers are normal?? I never thought much until the dealer told me it looks aftermarket. Then we couldn't find a mustang that had stickers that looked like that. They either didn't have them or they were white and said FOMOCO with a part number and such.

And yes, we figured the bumpers were going to be discolored, but even our auto body guy said it was very unusual to be that discolored already after 5,900 miles/9months (mostly in the garage!)

Wheel wells - we never hit anything and the rear ones don't show any signs of anything. It was drove one day during the winter. Decided not to do that again, haha.

And yeah, spilled a little fuel when filling :gringreen

The Carfax shows nothing. But of course if something happened at the dealer, they would hide that as much as possible.

The vehicle was not bought in denver, but it was inspected at the dealers in Denver. The car was bought at a suburb of denver. Not going to disclose info in case this goes further.

And yes, if it's fixed then I'm ok with it. BUT, if this was an accident, they are required to disclose the information if it's over 500$ right? 500$ on a brand new car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Ford dealership that I had my experience with is also in the Denver suburbs.

If your dealership repaired the car and it was covered by the dealer's insurance-there should be a paper trial of the repair if the car wasn't titled before you bought it.

Go to a Ford dealer and ask for a "OASIS" report on your VIN. Any work done by any Ford dealer on a new Ford should be on this report that is available from any Ford dealer.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
My bumpers were discolored off of the transport truck, I ordered my car, and was working when it was delivered..... As far as the stickers, I have my stock grill and lower fascia in the garage. I'll check them when I get home for you. Do you have the original window sticker? If so it will show the dealership that ordered the vehicle. If they don't match you may need to contact the dealership that shows on the sticker, as they may have traded it to the dealership you bought it from. I know a "disclosure of repair" is required over a certain dollar amount, but for the life me I can't remember what that dollar amount is. As a dealer myself I can assure you I've had customers assume I was lying to cover something up, when I in fact had no more(or less) information than the customer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Ford dealership that I had my experience with is also in the Denver suburbs.

If your dealership repaired the car and it was covered by the dealer's insurance-there should be a paper trail of the repair if the car wasn't titled before you bought it.

Go to a Ford dealer and ask for a "OASIS" report on your VIN. Any work done by any Ford dealer on a new Ford should be on this report that is available from any Ford dealer.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
OASIS only shows "service" RO's.... OASIS will not show work performed by a bodyshop, or should I say work by a bodyshop that's not being covered by warranty...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have noticed that other 2011+ white painted Mustang owners have also complained of discolored white bumpers on numerous other Mustang forums over the last year or so. It may be just an issue with that color when painted from the factory in white.

OASIS only shows "service" RO's.... OASIS will not show work performed by a bodyshop, or should I say work by a bodyshop that's not being covered by warranty...
When I had my issue with my "new" car-I found repair history in Carfax and then I went to the would be selling dealer and asked for an OASIS report and found the detailed invoice of the repair by the Ford dealer in California-about 1500 dollars of repair-if I remember correctly about the amount.

I agree-if the repair shop isn't a Ford dealer-OASIS will not show the repair history. It can't hurt to pull the OASIS report anyhow.

When buying a new car that has miles on it or that is old-on the lot for months-have the selling dealer pull a Carfax and an OASIS report BEFORE you buy!

·
Registered
409 Posts
'11GT/CSdude:

I don't like the look of that condenser. Maybe it's normal but you really need to have the Ford rep take a look. I have the stock grill and there is no overspray anywhere (I'm a little obsessive about detailing). I'm not trying to increase your anxiety about your purchase but I think you'll feel better after you talk to the rep.

GL and please post an update.

Chris

·
Registered
270 Posts
New Cars
  • Dealers are required to disclose in writing any damage and repair that exceeds five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price before you enter into a contract.
  • Dealers are not required to disclose any damage to glass, tires or bumpers if the damaged item has been replaced with original or comparable equipment.
  • If a new car has been repaired for damages that do not exceed five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, then the dealer does not have to tell you about the damage unless you ask.
That is the law in North Carolina, it varies state to state and is as high as 10% in some states, but most states have a similiar policy

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

If your dealership repaired the car and it was covered by the dealer's insurance-there should be a paper trial of the repair if the car wasn't titled before you bought it.

not to many dealers in a suburbs of Denver... My question was it off of a road, highway like I-25 or a freeway

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here is what we found - A bent condenser, discoloration on the bumpers, appears that someone wet sanded the wheel well covers, possible overspray on the condenser "shrad" and on the grill parts. Another major thing that we found is that the grille had, what appeared to be, aftermarket stickers on it. There are 2 that can be seen easily and one that is hidden on the right side. I usually don't see stickers on the grille and when I do, it says - FOMOCO . Not an aftermarket little tiny sticker. :?:
We have went to 3 different dealers and they all say that there is evidence of a small wreck. The ford dealer that we bought it at is denying everything but agrees that something happened. They are saying there is no record of it ever being in a wreck. :nono:
Ford does not want to get involved but they are going to send out a representative to check out the car. Ford says that it is all under the dealer, they are not responsible.
Hello '11GT/CSdude,

My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I’d like to get this documented for you and keep all parties informed if needed. Please shoot me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply.

We are currently waiting for the Ford Rep to come out. I guess whatever they say goes. But no matter what happens, we are getting a new condenser and possibly repainting the bumpers. We don't know if we want to get rid of the original paint on the bumpers though.

The car was not bought within the denver area. It was not Phil Long or any other dealers in the area. It was bought about 30 minutes out of the whole city; suburbs and all.

I will keep you updated on what Ford comes back with.

Thanks for the help everyone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts