Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. Long time reader, First time poster. I just picked up a 66 rolling chassis that used to have a 289/3 speed combo. I have a few questions (a few will turn into a million as time goes on). I have access to welders and I'm ok with using them. I've never worked sheetmetal but I can build brackets and braces. The car is clean with only two little dents and no cancer only surface rust.

First this is what I have for parts:
I have a '64 F100.
351M/C4 (automatic)combo out of a 78 Ranchero GT (i don't have the car)
9" Rear out of the F100 with 3.83 gears
Painless fuse block
Disc brake conversion kit for the front axle of the F100

Let the questions begin:
1. What am I looking to upgrade for the front end? I know its a heavier engine so something has to be done.
2. Is the rear end an easy swap?
3. To swap out both axles what parts am I looking for (bushings, etc.)?

I have been trying to search the forums for the info I need and have found some, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. If its easier to send me to the right link that's cool. No need to retype an entire thread.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I honstly don't know if any of the F100 stuff will really work. The 351M is not a great motor and I don't think it will fit in a 66 without a lot more work then it is worth. Many people will tell you that the 351M is a very bad motor to start with I would tell you sell everything you have and buy a proper 351W.

Unless the suspension on the F100 is a Mustang II set up and you are planning on cutting it out and then rewelding it into your Mustang I don't think there will be much that will work for you because I believe the truck used a twin I beam suspension.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
M in a 66 would indeed be tight. If you shave the shock towers and go with a modified front end. I'd locate a w and be on my way instead. I'd agree with the post above....that F1 front may not be a good idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i would sell your combo of parts or the mustang body as no swapping is easily possible or worth the effort. i my area there is plenty of 302/289 motor and c4 trannys available for under 500that are usable to just use as-is.wes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yeah the F100 idea was a bit of wishful thinking but not heartbreaking. I'm trying to grab a 351w to use. The M is just what I had and was trying to save a few bucks, but sounds like more headaches than what it's worth. Question: With the W will I have to do any front end mods or can it be a drop in (not counting suspension)? I'm talking like the towers or anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.