Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question. I ordered my mustang in a different state. I was wondering what the recomended break-in conditions are on the mustang. I will have to drive it home on 270 miles of highway. Keeping it slow will be reallll difficult. Is this still an issue on new cars?

Anthony

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a great question, actually. What is the break-in period? I've heard 3,500 miles, and I've also heard different ways of breaking it in. One way is to drive it like I normally would (which would mean a lot of burn-outs and high-revving) while another is not to let the car go over 3500 RPM during the break-in period.

Which is it?

Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just spoke with a mechanic at my local Ford dealership. He said that there is not break-in period with the newer cars. He told me to go ahead and drive it like I would normally. He did suggest that I take the car in at 1,000 miles and have an oil change.

·
Registered
121 Posts
break in

i too bought my stang out of state. i had to drive 300 miles back from the dealership. i was really worried about breaking the car in. the dealer told me to just drive around the speed limit (~ 70) and to not rev her close to the red. i believe these limits were for the first 500 miles. i drove her lightly for 500 and she's still sounding perfect at 1200. hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, Thanks guys I will be sure to enjoy the ride home acroos the desert :naughty

·
Registered
432 Posts
1000 miles is the # to be cautious ...drive the car like you will drive it everyday for the most part..because the computer is learning how you drive for the first 1000 miles...but stay away from red line revs (rev limiter will kill the fuel anyway) and don't drive at one speed for many miles....in the case of your trip home ...just change speeds often(don't do the whole trip at 70) and enjoy your ride.

730 miles for me so far...hard shifting and fast speed most of the way...just not to excess and not wide open or all out.....BUT SOON:evillol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought mine out of state and drove 12 hours home........I think the owner's manual says to avoid driving as constant speed at first. Probably to identify anything that might be wrong with the car. I was doing fine until in hit Carlsbad. The fuel filter decided to come loose and spill half a tank of gas on the ground. Cost me a night in Carlsbad (Sunday....boring). The local dealer fixed it in about five minutes and I was on my way......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts