Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides what the manual states. Does anyone have any sort of "special" break in routine that they would recommend? One othe question should the first service be at 1k or 3k? :confused:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Break in period like Television during a honeymoon........ not necessary.

G

·
That's pretty much what I've heard too pcfrisch... tho I've also read others saying you should take it easy for the first 1000 miles. I'm trying to do that, but finding it rather difficult... esp after letting my father take her for a short drive last night. He pushed it as hard as I have, if not mebe a little more and was still fairly easy on it (200 miles on her... something I think woulda broke by now). His responce after the drive was "I could get myself in trouble with one of these." He's a fairly big car guy, tho doesnt own any muscle type cars these days & even he says there aren't really any break-in periods anymore.

I'm planning on changing oil & filter at 1000 & trying to obey the manual... but outside of that, drive it like you stole it. I will say last night it was raining pretty darn good so I decided to try out the traction control system... works pretty darn good, I was impressed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. My dealer was pretty adamant about keeping things under 70 for the first 1000 miles. I thought that was a little bit of overkill myself but wasnt sure.

G

·
I would reckon its more to do with rpms than anything. I'm trying to keep mine under 4k... but sometimes it's just not possible =)

·
Registered
897 Posts
eyelleye said:
I would reckon its more to do with rpms than anything. I'm trying to keep mine under 4k... but sometimes it's just not possible =)
The only thing mentioned in the manual is to vary the RPM.

I took that advice to heart and have varied the RPM between idle and 6000 every 4-5 seconds.

My car ran a 13.6 with 300KM(180mi.) on the odometer and 13.27 with 2000KM(1200MI.) on the odometer with the adition of a Diablosport Predator and a C&L Performance CAI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
greetings. ...

i broke my mustang in this past march by driving from west palm beach to brooklyn ny (lil over 1300 miles) 2 days after finally coming in. . 6 month wait. . good grief .. . was averaging btw 60 - 90 mph various spots. . .no problems to speak of. . .as of now. . a variety of trips all over northeast (maine trip coming up). . .again, no issues to speak of (knock on wood of course). . at 4447 miles, did 1st maintenance checkup. . everything cool. . .no problems. . .would have done closer to 5000, but trip coming up. . .i followed the manuel. . so far, so good. . .if you screw around with the racing on streets, etc. . . that might open your new baby to some things. . maybe. .. otherwise. . enjoy. . . just soak it up. . . a looker that has some heart inside. . enjoy your new rides 06'ers. . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
So lemme as you this... is a 1500 mile cross country trip one way, at 70 mph, constant RPM's, bad for the break in period? I was gonna change to synthetic oil before I leave and let her rip! No??? :shrug

...now only if the car carrier that left over a week ago would show up with my pony! :weeps :weeps :weeps

Manny

·
Registered
358 Posts
Your engine was pretty much broke in at the factory on the test run stage.
Here is what a prominate engine builder does (This guy builds drag motors for the big guys).
While driving (Loading).
Take it up to 1000 and back off to idle, then up to 2000 and back, ect, ect, you get the picture.
Do this till you reach your redline and then back.
Now you dont need to WOT to get there just take it easy up and back.
Your done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the motor, the above method is correct, but the motor should have been broken in at the factory. Just go out and drive it, the only things breaking in are: tranny, clutch, rearend, suspension and such. Dont worry too much, it is under warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Man, what does WOT mean? I've seen it a lot in car forums.

·
Registered
358 Posts
drbino said:
Man, what does WOT mean? I've seen it a lot in car forums.
Wide Open Throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts