Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm putting in the rebuilt 289 in my 66 tomorrow and I know the procedure for how to break in the cam but I've got a question. Not only is the engine rebuilt, but the pumpkin in the rear is new also and that has its own break in procedure.

I've heard that after breaking in the cam, you have to seat the rings by getting it up to 30-60mph and then coasting back down and letting the engine cool and repeating. But the breakin procedure for my rear says to keep the car cruising for at least 30 miles, but less than 100, no greater than 60mph and then let it cool completely for a few hours and repeat 2 more times.

SO what do I do? Seat the rings and then break in the rear? I dont wanna mess up the rear in the process tho..

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
ted, by the time you get the cam broke in the rings will most likely be seated. just follow the procedure for you ring and pinion break-in and you will be fine. and btw you don't have to drive 30 miles, RICHMOND recomends 6-8 miles then cool down.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I have heard many mixed reviews on rear gears....some say drive it how you wana from the get go also some say drive it long enough to get the fluid warmed up in the rear and let it cool afterwards and repeat a few times. So in my mind you should be fine on the gears when you seat the rings that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ted, by the time you get the cam broke in the rings will most likely be seated. just follow the procedure for you ring and pinion break-in and you will be fine. and btw you don't have to drive 30 miles, RICHMOND recomends 6-8 miles then cool down.
It's Tom btw not Ted haha but no worries :gringreen

That was my feeling too.. after 20-30 mins of revving at 2000-2500 rpms the rings have to be pretty heated up. Is that breakin procedure from richmond for a trac-lok rear too? My new center section has 3.25s and trac-lok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts