Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
signal lights work, but not the break lights.... the fuse blew so i put a new one in and as soon as i touched the break it blew too.

could it be the sensor?

the bulbs are all in good shape and so is the wiring. nothing was done to trigger this... the lights just stopped working.

****EDIT Brake not break...haha sorry

·
Registered
563 Posts
sounds to me like the brake light switch down on the pedal. pull the two wires off the switch and touch them together to see if the brake lights come on, if so you need the switch. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Nick Buddy do you have a third brake light???? Its seperate from the signals that doubles as brake lights and stop lights. Check the wiring to the third brake light. The transition is on the signal light switch. It is the transition point from brake to stop. Pull the plug out of the MILTI FUNCTION SWITCH.( Signal light switch) and with a new fuse hit the brakes. If the fuse blows trace that DAM THIRD BRAKE LIGHT CKT Peace and let us know how you make out TOM:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! and yes tom i do have a third break light...forgot to mention.

and yes the fuse blows every time i hit the breaks...so i will check it out...

Thanks Tom and DB!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There's a dead short somewhere. If Tom's suggestions don't pan out, start back-probing the bulb sockets with a volt meter set to ohms or to continuity. The wire that goes to the socket case should read continuity to ground, but none of the wires going to the pins on the bottom should read to ground.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thats a good point BIG C but his signals work SAME BULBS????? BUT the third brake light does not go through the MFS. Multi function switch. You know signal light switch. Thats why i directed him to the third brake light. But anything is possible with shorts that is for Certain. Good point my brother. Peace Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts