Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
First off, before we get to the heart of the topic, can anyone tell me a way to HURRY a bodyman!?! He's had my car for a year and it's still not painted!! He's already got 2000 of the 2500 total which was stupid of me but he was a "friend" and he said he needed the money at the time so I did it. Anyway, that's beside the point, I thought I'd just say it before someone asked. Anyway, how to I hurry this guy up? And the problem is, if I really want the car to actually turn out nice, I'm gonna have to take it to another bodyman because this guy can't weld for sh*t. But the outside will look good and that's what I'm concerned with for the moment since I've had the car for 4 years and I just wanna drive it. So HOW do I hurry this guy!?!?

And then to the heart of the topic. Once I get it back(if ever), I'm gonna thrash to get it done by June so I can take it to a car show with all of my buddies. I've got 2 other friend's that are finishing cars for the show not to mention my friend's that already have finished cars, so needless to say, I want to be the 3rd one with a new car to show off. Anyway, I'm getting off the point. My question is, how many miles should I put on the motor before I take this thing for a 4 hour trip(8 hours round trip)? I wanna make sure I break in this new motor good and well before I go taking it on a trip and then get broke down 4 hours from home, know what I mean? Plus I need it to withstand a 4-hour trip.

Thanks and sorry for the long topic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You're going to need to fill in some info on your engine, please. Roller cam, roller rockers, cast, hyper, forged pistons, etc. It might not make a difference, but to be safe it would be best.:)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Ford recommended a 500 mile breakin, but today's fluids, parts and machining are superior to the old days. I'd give it 300 miles of varying speed and never over 3500RPM.

Drain the oil and put the best full synthetic in it yuu can find....Amsoil... :eyepoppin

Good to go! :smoke:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've had problems with folks doing work for me before it's never a pleasant thing to deal with. I'd speak with him one more time then if it does no good it's probably time to get nasty with him. The problem is if you get nasty he's going to give you a car back with a poor paint job. Even if the guy is a friend in this case you are a paying customer and you have the right to expect a certain level of service.

It may be better at this point just to take the car back and ask for some of your money to be refunded afterall he did do something but didn't do what he promised. If he refuses the refund you can always drag him into small claims court. That is never pleasant either but remember you are not the bad guy here-he said he would do certain things and he has not. Even if that agreement was verbal I believe it is still binding. Small claims court isn't expensive and you can do it yourself. But I don't think it will get that far, I've never had to go that far myself. At worst you're going to lose a bit of cash and a friend who actually sounds like he isn't much of one.

I've found out the hard way over the years Never for any reason EVER do business with friends or family...ever...it never works out. It's always better to pay a bit more knowing that you are just a customer and not have to worry about a friedship or family relationships. For whatever reason it always seems that family and friends always feel like they have the "right" to take advantage of you, sad but seemingly true. Good luck...

Mike

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
That's good advice Mike.

I had a similar situation with a motorcycle tank and my brother inlaw. He's a wizard with a paint gun, but unless he is making money he could care less. :sosad:

You might try hanging out with him and buying his fav beverage....and possibly offering to help with the work. Then kinda sart talking about the upcoming car shows and how you will be bragging about his work.

If you complain or threaten it would only slow him down and probably do a lousy job.

Of course there is the question does he have the funds to buy the paint, etc?

Not a good sitation to be in. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, I already bought the paint and stuff! Haha, yeah, I bought all of the supplies and stuff for the bodywork and paint. And yeah, all you guys are right, and I've done a lot of these things already. And Tom, I actually have helped with the car. I did the bodywork, priming, and block sanding for the driver's fender, headlight bucket, stonesheild deflector panel, and a few other panels. Problem being, I've had some major family problems in the last year(deaths, surgeries, etc.) not to mention starting college, so I told him I'd give him a little more money just to finish the job on his own. But man, I gave him a good head start!

As for the motor specs, here they go:
289 .030 overbore with .010 under stroke
Comp springs
Comp hydraulic tappet cam .512/.512 lift
Edelbrock Air-Gap intake
Holley 570 carb
Hooker Comp Headers

Everything else is brand new but essentially stock replacement or maybe a step up. So I don't think they're forged pistons and I don't have roller rockers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Break-in for a std hyraulic flat teppetis easy, the most important thing is once it starts DO NOT LET IT IDLE!!!! for about 20-30 minutes vary the engine RPM from 1500 to 2500, watch the temp gauge, you might need to shut it off and let it cool then restart, but DO NOT LET IT IDLE!!!!

I always prime the oil system with a drill(turning CCW) then install the distributor, use the same oil you are going to run unless you use synthetic, then run any good quality oil. There are break-in additives that are added to the oil, usually from the cam company, that are a good idea, they contain extra anti-wear additives to prevent scuffing. I change the oil immediately after the cam break-in period, yes after 30 minutes. I drive with a light foot at varying speeds for about 500 miles and then gradually increase loads on the engine. Always watch the temp., it will run warm for a while until the engine loosens up, so expect it to be a bit stiff.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I know how to break in a motor, but I've never had to break one in in time for a 4 hour trip. I just wanted to make sure I had plenty of miles on it before I go ona journey into the unknown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.