Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it getting down to do the brakes for my 14 mustang GT. I have the brembo brake package. Where does everyone go to get their pads and rotors?

·
Super Moderator
7,577 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want to replace your hardware with. I would look at carid.com. It has a wide selection.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I'd stick with OEM-equivalent rotors. I believe Centric makes the OEM ones; also Raybestos and some others make some nice rotors. I think it is worth a few extra dollars to get the nice "premium" coated ones, over the basic uncoated ones. There really isn't any reason to go with drilled or slotted rotors, unless you think they look cool.

Tire Rack and Rock Auto are two on-line sources for rotors and pads. Rock auto has real good selection and pricing, but beware they have a strict 30-day return policy, meaning no returns for any reason after 30 days. If you install them right away there is no issue; but if you let parts sit on the shelf for a while (like I do sometimes) you can get trapped by this.

There are lots of different pads available; to narrow it down you need to decide if performance is top priority, or dust / lack of dust, or noise . . . . track oriented pads tend to be very dusty and can be noisy, like the original Brembo pads.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to replace the front pads (rotors seem ok) with Brembo pads. To keep it the way it is

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
^ that should work fine . . . but if you are sick of the dust, you could consider some other pads, I think "ceramic" pads are low dust . . . if I remember correctly, my original brembo pads were quite dusty . . . not as bad as a true track pad, but close

Not sure where you can buy them; I'd check Tire Rack and Rock Auto first

Reactions: Scuzzle

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha, thanks for the advice!

I still have a little meat on the pads, but do people usually replace the rotors too? Even if the pads aren't too worn down?

·
Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
I did this about a year ago. Don’t laugh... I got the Autozone Gold pads (lifetime replacement) and their OEM (Brembo) replacement rotors. They are performing for very well for daily driving, and have much lower dust. I have no complaints, and no noticeable decrease in performance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
...R1concepts is very good stuff. I have various forms of their products on at least four of our vehicles. Their carbon GEOMET rotors are the best I've owned. Just a thought...

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
. . . do people usually replace the rotors too? Even if the pads aren't too worn down?
most shops will recommend that you always replace the rotors along with the pads, but I think that is mostly to drive up their bills . . . from my experience there are two reasons to replace the rotors:

1) the rotors are warped, or wearing unevenly -- this is pretty unusual, and you would notice it as pulsing or pulling when you brake; or uneven color on the rotor surface

2) the rotors are worn enough that there is a significant "lip" around the edge of the rotor -- this makes it difficult to remove/change the pads (because they hang up on that edge) and it mostly applies to the non-brembo fronts and the normal rear brakes, since it is easy to get the Brembo pads out even with that lip on the edge. If you run your finger across the surface of the rotor and out off the edge you can feel this ridge that I am talking about; if it is more than about 1/32-1/16" then I would replace the rotors.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
most shops will recommend that you always replace the rotors along with the pads, but I think that is mostly to drive up their bills . . . from my experience there are two reasons to replace the rotors:
Agree, no need to replace rotors unless they need replacing. If you change brake pad brands or compounds, be sure to clean the rotors good (a little sanding, palm sander, or use a very aggressive racing brake pad) to get old brake pad material off and then bed in the new brake pads, laying down new pad material on the rotors. Keep in mind, the better the brake pads and rotors, the better braking you'll have....don't skimp.:smile:
https://www.racetechnologies.com
https://www.brembo.com/en/car

Reactions: rowekmr

·
Registered
31 Posts
When replacing pads/rotors on my 2011 at local autoparts place (Advance Auto) online I saw they had spec parts for the Brembo brake option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts