Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After participating in MANY threads with a whole load of BS about how the Brembo pack suspension couldn't possibly be different, or Ford would advertise it - yada, yada - I've been on the lookout for definitive data. I found it in the wonderful 5.0 Mustang Aug. 2011 issue on the Boss motor development.

Two asides:
1) I still see posts claiming the Brembo pack (or "brake pack" as 5.0 mag. calls it) is just wheels and brakes.
2) Fodder for a whole separate post: There are MAJOR internal differences in the motors (Coyote vs. Roadrunner = BOSS motor), including stuff I've read posted here is supposedly the same (like the crank - it's NOT the same). If you really look at what FoMoCo engineers did to make the BOSS motor survive at 7500 RPM (major stuff) it should really make you wonder about the aftermarket tuners claims (bolt on a Boss intake, run our tune with the rev. limiter raised to 7500 and you get 100HP). Sorry, I call BS on that one (well, called it and got royally flamed by Steeda).

So, the suspension data: OOPS - had to do a .jpg to get it to format right. Note: I put the mag. data table in Excel and computed the percent diff. numbers.

Some other interesting quotes:
"We knew that the Brake Pack and Track Pack were getting limited by the fact that the rear (tire) was not as wide as some of the competition" - well NO surprise there...
"The shocks (for Boss) are five-way adjustable units sourced from Tokico, but with Boss-specific valving." - Similar to Tokico-D's?
"We were already maxed out on rear spring rates." - On the Brembo, with the stock dampers."
"Front lower control arm bushings are common in all Mustangs; the Mustang GT uses a softer rear lower control arm bushing than the others."

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOPS! - I meant to post this in GT Tech instead...

·
Registered
112 Posts
im more on the side that the brembo brake package only comes with the brakes/wheels. im a soon to be owner of a 5.0 with the brembo package and no salesperson has told me that the brembo package comes with different more improved suspension :blink:.and ive been to a couple dealerships. the boss mustang however does though with an adjustable damper similar to the tokico d-spec style. this is from all what i seen/read

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well then the magazine editors must not know nearly as much as your average Ford sales-person - or they're lying in the article. Believe who you want - I've just shown the numbers now published... Spring rates, LCA, and bars are different with Brembo... Maybe you should actually drive both.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
im more on the side that the brembo brake package only comes with the brakes/wheels. im a soon to be owner of a 5.0 with the brembo package and no salesperson has told me that the brembo package comes with different more improved suspension :blink:.and ive been to a couple dealerships. the boss mustang however does though with an adjustable damper similar to the tokico d-spec style. this is from all what i seen/read
Every post on this board is not going to be correct, but the knowledge base here conservatively exceeds 95% of what your average dealership knows. With absolutely no reservation they will make s**t up instead of looking up the answer or worse, deliberately lie to you.

My current dealership is one of the rare exceptions, but my previous dealer was absolutely shameless.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I have to disagree with your 95%!!! It's more like 95% regurgitate what they've heard. NOT what they know! I consider the OP's source to be credible.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The "Brembo cars have the same suspension as the regular GT" argument was put to rest a long time ago. They don't.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've discussed this topic with dynamics engineers at Ford. The parts are different between Brembo and base GTs. Springs and shock rates are different.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, we all KNEW they were diff. (ok, not ALL - but...). I've not before seen any post showing the EXACT rates for all the variations. Even Sam claimed to know - but couldn't publish it - like some kind of state secret of something?!?

Now we BP owners have (some) of the data, so we at least know what we've got. I've not seen damper rates posted though (the missing bit).

With the Koni supply issues I may go the Tokico route myself (good enough for the Boss)...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Keep in mind the FRPP struts are also sourced from Tokico. They are not the same as the non-FRPP branded ones. Something to do with the valving.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know that ford went to great lengths to make the boss engine rev safely at 7500rpm BUT... I remember watching on horspower TV when they got a coyote on the engine dyno they spoke to ford and ford told them that the coyote could spin to 7300rpm all day long. Im sure that if they feel that 7300 is fine there is room for more.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I know that ford went to great lengths to make the boss engine rev safely at 7500rpm BUT... I remember watching on horspower TV when they got a coyote on the engine dyno they spoke to ford and ford told them that the coyote could spin to 7300rpm all day long. Im sure that if they feel that 7300 is fine there is room for more.

The difference between 7300 and 7500 is about like the difference between 180mph and 200mph. It may not seem like much, but the engineering and cost required to get to the second number is exponentially higher.

The Coyote engine is safe at 7300, but may not necessarily be durable at 7300. The Road Runner is durable to 7500, and safe to 8000. In the article, it is mentioned that the Ford racing team accidentally took one of the prototype engines to 9000 on a missed downshift, and the engine held together just fine.

The only other engine I know of in a Ford vehicle that can rev to 9000 without immediately exploding is the original Yamaha SHO motor. And that was built by Yamaha. And it was a 3L V6. This is a 5L V8. Factoring the increased displacement and rotating mass, the Yamaha motor would've had to rev to about 11,000 for it to mean the same.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
the differences may not be great, but they are different none the less.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
many coyotes are spinning 7500 and i havnt seen one of them failed after a high rpm adventure. on the forums at least. It might be to early to tell tho. for now i have my rev set to 7500 on the john lund tune. I try to shift at 7200-7300 but when powershifting it does hit the limiter at 7500.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Keep in mind the FRPP struts are also sourced from Tokico. They are not the same as the non-FRPP branded ones. Something to do with the valving.
Interesting point. If you look at the adjusters for the Boss and FRPP shocks, you see the following:

- Boss shocks have Illumina adjusters (exactly)
- FRPP shocks have D-Spec adjusters (exactly)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Keep in mind the rev limit for the Coyote and the Roadrunner are manufacturer redlines, not necessarily the highest you can actually run them at. The Roadrunner should be good for in the 8000's RPM. Think at a production stand point, do you think Ford wants people running their BOSS engines at 8400 RPM if the components will only last at 7500 RPM for their tested duration for the vehicle to last?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The only people who think the suspension on a Brembo car is the same as a GT are people who have never ridden in one, must less owned one.

They certainly haven't spent 10 minutes at fordparts.com

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The only people who think the suspension on a Brembo car is the same as a GT are people who have never ridden in one, must less owned one.

They certainly haven't spent 10 minutes at fordparts.com
I concur. I test drove a Brembo and purchased a non-Brembo. The Brembo has a stiffer ride for sure.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Hmm...I must have not been paying attention very well because I haven't seen any of these threads. :smilie But either way, yes. I have the Brembo Brake Package and I don't regret it. The standard GT ride is certainly cushier. I'm no pro driver and I can even tell. The front suspention reacts harder.

And to whoever said that this forum has 95% of sales men in spades is 100% absolutely absurdly..........correct. When I was buying my car, I didn't run into a single sales person who could even pronounce "Brembo" correctly. Went through 7 of those clowns. The most common attempt was "Bremmow" whatever that is. :laugh: Best one though and I will remember this till the day I die:

Me: "My two most important options are the Brembo Brake Package upgrade and the 3.73 axle ratio."
Sales Person: "Ok, let me see what we have *computer computer computer computer* Ok we do have one with the Bremmm......mmmow upgrade and with no axle ratio. But it does have the electronics package and comfort package. That will probably be a good replacement for the axle ratio."

:coffee Have a nice day, sir. No I don't need your card because I'm pretty sure you don't even have a driver's lisence based on that response.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Okay, but how about on the convertibles? Same suspensions as coupes?

-insert troll face-

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.