·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Brembos was not an option on the CS so I would say you will need new wheels.
There were quite some things not an option for the CS.....so I still hope the brembo's will fit , but thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I am pretty sure they will not fit. To clear the brembos the spokes of the wheel need to be way out at the edge of the rim, I think the CS wheels are set inward too much.

Not sure how you can find out definitely . . . . you could try searching for wheels for your car on Tire Rack; if they sell those wheels, then search for 2008 GT500 and see if those same wheels show up.

Reactions: freewayflyer

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Some people have installed Brembo front calipers with a spacer on 2011-2012 CS wheels. You may be able to do the same thing with yours.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't really see how brembo calipers would help stop 8.5" wide wheels any better. It's almost an oxymoron... just saying...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
|With that logic we should be able to retrofit 1967 drum brakes to the front and stop those 8.5" wheels just the same.

It's about precisision, repeatability, a more distributed pad load for less fade and a larger thermal mass to absorb the conversion of kinetic energy to heat.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I don't really see how brembo calipers would help stop 8.5" wide wheels any better. It's almost an oxymoron... just saying...
I think more people buy Brembos and other big brakes for the looks than because they really need the performance. The stock brakes will stop the car once or twice just as well as any big brake kit; the big brakes really only make a difference with multiple stops and dealing with the resulting heat.

But that's cool, each to his own, looks is just a good a reason as any to buy them.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Brembo brakes will not fit on factory California Special wheels....not enough clearance.

Jedi Dave

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I think more people buy Brembos and other big brakes for the looks than because they really need the performance. The stock brakes will stop the car once or twice just as well as any big brake kit; the big brakes really only make a difference with multiple stops and dealing with the resulting heat.

But that's cool, each to his own, looks is just a good a reason as any to buy them.
The brakes on my 2011 GT were nowhere near as good on the street as the Brembos I have now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The stock brakes fade quickly......and having a fast car with fading brakes is not really funny in the twisties. For me, the car doesn't need to brake better....just more often :).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brembo brakes will not fit on factory California Special wheels....not enough clearance.

Jedi Dave
Okay thanks....I think :wink:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people have installed Brembo front calipers with a spacer on 2011-2012 CS wheels. You may be able to do the same thing with yours.
I was thinking about this, but I am not sure if I feel save with spacers on a 420HP car.....

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think spacers should be fine as long as you get a quality set like from eibach or H & R. Yes they cost more than the budget brand spacers but the quality is much better and you shouldn't have to worry about anything going wrong, I just picked up a set of eibach 25mm spacers as I am installing brembos and want to be able to use the factory 18x8 rims for when my car is in storage and when the weather is too cold for summer tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
The brakes on my 2011 GT were nowhere near as good on the street as the Brembos I have now.
Yeah I like my Brembos too but I'm not sure I would have spent the money if I was not going to the road track.

To the OP, I'd suggest you look at wheels and tires first, and consider the brake clearance as you select wheels. The spacers throw off the correct geometry / offset and you might need so much spacer to clear the brakes, that you would move the tires outside the wheel well (not sure how much is needed).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I like my Brembos too but I'm not sure I would have spent the money if I was not going to the road track.

To the OP, I'd suggest you look at wheels and tires first, and consider the brake clearance as you select wheels. The spacers throw off the correct geometry / offset and you might need so much spacer to clear the brakes, that you would move the tires outside the wheel well (not sure how much is needed).
The one thing I don't want (read: can't justify) is buying new rims to fitt new brakes.
maybe I will look into rotors and pads that are more head resistant.

Than again, wider rims and tires look damn nice :) ...... I am afraid the mod bug got me again :-(

·
Registered
704 Posts
|With that logic we should be able to retrofit 1967 drum brakes to the front and stop those 8.5" wheels just the same.

It's about precisision, repeatability, a more distributed pad load for less fade and a larger thermal mass to absorb the conversion of kinetic energy to heat.
There is a massive difference between old drum brakes and modern disc brakes, there's no comparison. The difference between Brembo and standard Mustang brakes means very little in comparison to the difference better tires make.

For a one stop test, the same Mustang with the only difference being standard versus Bembo brakes, there will be little if any difference in stopping distance. Brembo brakes are for repeated stops, and dissipating heat better, that's where they shine.

If all one does is street driving, the Brembo brakes mean almost nothing.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I was thinking about this, but I am not sure if I feel save with spacers on a 420HP car.....
As long as you don't get carried away with spacer thickness I don't think you'll have any issues. You'll have to do some math to figure out what you need but I don't think it's very much.

I just picked up a set of eibach 25mm spacers as I am installing brembos and want to be able to use the factory 18x8 rims for when my car is in storage and when the weather is too cold for summer tires.
Are you sure they are 25mm? That's a lot.

There is a massive difference between old drum brakes and modern disc brakes, there's no comparison. The difference between Brembo and standard Mustang brakes means very little in comparison to the difference better tires make.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

·
Registered
412 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts