Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install these cams myself so I am trying to do a lot of reading and thinking and planning about what I am going to do to install them. I cannot find a write up anywhere on how to install them. I know they are NSR so could I just use the frpp hot rod cam Ford instructions to install these? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks! :) Also why do I need new cam phaser bolts if I do not even remove the old ones during installation? Or do you and I just overlooked it? Another question I have is do I need to get 3.73 gears or 4.10's with these cams? I currently have the stock 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Im almost certain that you don't need gears for those cams, but I'd ask Brenspeed just to be sure. The cam phasers do need to be unbolted and they're torque to yield bolts and will need to be replaced. They're $14 a piece.

There is a Online service manuals on the sticky bulletin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man!!!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I heard a different rear end gear is recommended not required. I think 3.55 is a good middle point. Whenever I do the cams I am going to upgrade to 3.73 from 3.31

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Yes, you can follow the same procedure as the Hot Rod cams. The two cams install in the exact same procedure. The gear of choice (atleast around here) for the Detroit Rockers is the 4.10, but we have plenty of customers running them with stock 3.31 and 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks Brenspeed for answering my question! And thanks you guys also! I think I'm gonna keep my 3.55's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is the spring compressor mandatory? I've read on a few forums where people install the Detroit Rockers and slowly and evenly tighten them into place to ensure no bending or binding. I guess it would also cure dropping a valve into the cylinder. I've also seen a garden hose used in place of the timing chain wedge.
Do you lose low RPM driveability with stock 3.31's? I was planning to upgrade to 3.73's, but if I can hold off for now that would make my initial purchase a little cheaper! :bigthumbsup
One last question, has anyone used the Detroit Rockers with a BAMA tune? They said they have a tune for it and since Im a "free tunes for life" member I wouldn't have to buy Brenspeed's tune. Just wondering is BAMA's works as well. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Yes, a spring compressor and timing wedge tool are necessary if you want to properly install the camshafts. If you dont use the spring compressor tool there are a few springs that have tension on them when the engine is in time and you could potentially damage/warp/ or crack the camshaft. No garden hoses please :) We have plenty of customers running our camshafts on the stock 3.31 gears, but i really dont recommend it as your low end is going to suffer a little. Getting into a 3.73 or 4.10 will greatly decrease your low end loss and help get you into the camshafts powerband. As far as the tuning goes, we definitely have that dialed in :) Please dont hesitate to give us a call at 574.594.9559 if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Chandler
Brenspeed

·
Registered
419 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the help Chandler! Im looking forward to installing my cams. Eventually I'll hit you up for 3.73's as well!
Don't be afraid of 4.10's. I've got them and love them!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Question for you guys...I've looked around and cant seem to find it anywhere. What are the torque specs for the cam phaser bolt, cam journals, and valve cover bolts? I've about 30 ft.lbs. for the bolt, then an additional 90 degrees.
I dont have a torque wrench so I'll be hitting up Auto Zone for a loaner, but I might need 2 different ones based on the answer. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
83 Posts
So it looks lke 30 ft.lbs. for the cam bolts (+90 degrees)
89 lb.in. for the cam holders (journals?)
89 lb.in. for valve covers

Does this sound about right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts