Ford Mustang Forum banner

Bringing 03 GT out of Storage!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  YoungLion 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Long time no talk. For those of you who know me, I had my baby garaged for these past 11 months due to a year (or eleven months, haha) of volunteer work at a church in NJ. My time here is coming to an end in less than three weeks, which I am equally dreading and anticipating. I just wanted to gather some feedback as to a few things.

A: What are the basics for putting my car back on the road, mechanically? I know I should do an oil change ASAP, thinking running the old fuel out then putting in fuel cleaner with new gas. Any other tips/tricks?

B: Any general experience or knowledge of creaks, tightness, other odd noises or out of place feels for these cars specifically after they haven't been driven for a while? My dad did start it once a month and has even been driving it around a bit now that the weather is nicer.

Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks guys!!

#4 ·
Oil change, check the air pressure in the tires, battery check....start her up and do some burnouts. Let her know you still love her ;)

PM me on your volunteer work...sounds interesting!

#5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It did sit (as in, wasn't daily driven, but started occasionally) for 11 months. So pretty close to a full year. Again, the past two months my dad has managed to take it for a quick spin down the street and around the neighboring street, but no highway or major driving since I left in August. I'm not thinking this will change anything but just wanted to be sure. I see her in just about two weeks..boo ya!

#6 ·
If it starts, check the tires and oil and let it out! Like said earlier most of us store our cars in the winter and in the last year my car has probably only had 1,500-2,000 miles put on it and was stored for 6 months with only being started a hand full of times. When you put it in storage did you put anything in the gas? Next time if you store it that long you should put stuff in the gas to help keep it fresh.

#7 ·
+1 on fresh oil. Other than that, the car has been started and rolled around the block a few times since you put it down so I wouldn't expect any issues. Seems like the two things these cars are prone to after sitting a while is no start (fuel pump magically goes bad, we see those threads every spring it seems like) and a brake caliper that decides to start sticking.

Reactions: Lackey'sGT
#8 ·
Great to hear from all you guys. It's like a family reunion, haha. I value all the feedback you guys give me. Can't wait to get my baby back on the road. And Lackey yes, I put in the correct amount of Stabil before I left it sitting. SoCal, magic issue number one happened to me. Fuel pump went in December. New one in there and it has been fine since...crossing my fingers it holds up til I get home!

Reactions: Lackey'sGT
#9 ·
Hey all, so I promised an update when I got home, and here it is...so my old battery died, wouldn't recharge so got a new battery today...took it to get a "rejection" sticker and the guy said there was "excessive play" in the tie rods and the front right caliper was locking. I heard it "shim-shimming" on the rides I've taken it with when I got home, so hoping that can clear up somehow. Already had a frozen caliper issue with my rear right brakes and that cost me over $500 for all new brake setup in the rear, last year. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Oh and, IT'S GREAT TO BE DRIVING MY MUSTANG AGAIN!! :grin:

#12 ·
Kawik99 oh hell ya, today got her on the highway for the first time in over a year...almost brought tears to my eyes haha. And Lackey, if she needs new tie rods (don't know if it's inner outer or whole setup), does that need an alignment after new ones are put in?

#14 ·
Ok, cool, thanks brother. Just about 99% certain it needs tie rods, steering wheel was shaking left to right like crazy the other day on the highway. Not generally a good sign, haha. I was able to buy both inner and outer tie rods for less than $60 altogether though, so I'm not crying about that. Still think I might need my front calipers replaced though. SoCal, your comment about the two things that "magically go wrong" when these cars sit both happened to me! Damn...what can ya do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.