Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been hearing the magical clunking noise in the car, but noticed that it was only on the left side and that it only made the noise when I went over a speedbump doing anything over 3mph. I knew it couldn't be the swaybar links, I just had that problem fixed. Maybe one of the strut mount bolts was loose. I mean, I kinda rushed to finish that side b/c I had to go to work. Maybe one of the bolts wasn't torqued down all the way. So I grab my handy-dandy torque wrench and turn away. I guess I turned too much and SNAP!!! There goes one of the bolts. Guess I needed an excuse to buy something. I've got a couple of options here, so what do you think of these:

Steeda Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mount Covers:
Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mounts - Street - '05-'07

OR

StangSuspension Camber Plates:
StangSuspension.com Camber Plates - For 05-08 Mustangs - StangSuspension.com

I guess this was inevitable. I think the strut mount was jacked up anyway. Thanks for the help. Check out my damage...

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you really want to upgrade then I think both of those are good options. But, if you want to save some money just replace it with a factory piece. I broke my buddies off when we were putting on his Eibach kit. I got one from our local dealer for $19. Just another option.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had been hearing the magical clunking noise in the car, but noticed that it was only on the left side and that it only made the noise when I went over a speedbump doing anything over 3mph. I knew it couldn't be the swaybar links, I just had that problem fixed. Maybe one of the strut mount bolts was loose. I mean, I kinda rushed to finish that side b/c I had to go to work. Maybe one of the bolts wasn't torqued down all the way. So I grab my handy-dandy torque wrench and turn away. I guess I turned too much and SNAP!!! There goes one of the bolts. Guess I needed an excuse to buy something. I've got a couple of options here, so what do you think of these:

Steeda Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mount Covers:
Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mounts - Street - '05-'07

OR

StangSuspension Camber Plates:
StangSuspension.com Camber Plates - For 05-08 Mustangs - StangSuspension.com

I guess this was inevitable. I think the strut mount was jacked up anyway. Thanks for the help. Check out my damage...
Can't believe they beak that easy....hmmmmm

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm probably stupid for doing it, but I kinda asked for it when I kept torquing. The wrench never slipped, so I thought I could keep going. Obviously, that wasn't the right decsion. I'm wondering if I should torque it while the car is off the ground next time or just let the impact wrench do the work. When it stops, so will I.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I'm probably stupid for doing it, but I kinda asked for it when I kept torquing. The wrench never slipped, so I thought I could keep going. Obviously, that wasn't the right decsion. I'm wondering if I should torque it while the car is off the ground next time or just let the impact wrench do the work. When it stops, so will I.
What did you have the wrench set at? Specs call for 26 ft lbs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one this happened to. When I put my strut brace on, I wasn't any where near 26 lbs yet, and the bolt just snapped off. But the dealership was cool about it and replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I had it at 26ft/lbs, but it didn't seem like the wrench wanted to slip when it was torqued right. So naturally, I just kept going. Bad idea. I ordered new mounts yesterday. I'll be a lot more careful next time. Should I torque the bolts while the car is in the air, or should I just get them on, lower the car, then torque? The latter caused this problem and I don't want it to happen again. Also, how do you know when the nut holding the cover on is torqued right? I had to apply downward force when I was using the impact wrench to get it to go down. Otherwise it would just spin on the bolt. I didn't see any torque specs for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts