Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi –

We race two 2300 fox Mustang mini-stocks here in the Midwest. Motors are highly modified (long rods, heavily port/polished/shaved heads, solid lifters, Esslinger intakes, cams and pulleys, Holley 350cfm carbs, all MSD ignition, 7.25 clutches, lightweight flywheels, and so on.

Last Saturday during hot laps we broke a cam tower and cracked another cam tower in one of the motors.

Because the head will cost a fortune to replace, we are going to try TIG welding the broken tower back on and TIG welding the cracked tower. Plus, we will TIG on an Esllinger cam tower strap kit. Then we will take it to a machine shop to check the cam bore alignment.

Has anyone had any experience with broken cam towers on a 2300 and made successful repairs such as the above?

Thanks for reading and any info.

Kevin Hunt Racing
Tyler Berry #25 Outlaw Mini Stock
Kevin Hunt #26 Outlaw Mini Stock
www.omsra.com

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
YES BO has repaired them by furnace brazing i think. Give him a call or E Mail him. I had a long discussion with him about this. One other thing which cam bearing tool are you using to install the BEARINGS????? Peace Tom

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well if you tell me what tool you use i may have an answer to why they broke in the first place. Just saying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bearings were installed before we owned the head. I don't know what tool was used.

We are going to weld the breaks/cracks and install the straps - I'll let everyone know if it works.

Bear in mind we run these cars in 3rd gear (German ET 4 speeds) with a 4.10 gear ratio so we are turning around 7800 - 7900 RPMs entering the turns.

Never had one break like this before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts