Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken spark plugs on V6 models?

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  okcreferee 
#1 ·
I just spoke to a friend with a 2005 Mustang GT and he told me a horror story about breaking 7 of his spark plugs while trying to to remove them. I searched the forum and found discussions relative to this problem on the V8 model. Does this same plroblem plague the 4.0 V6 model? My car has 9000 miles on it. Should I remove my plugs and put anti sieze on the threads, or is it already too late?

#2 ·
if you pull them and put it on thats ok.
i for one never used it. and never had a problem.

#3 ·
no you could pull them out.

i never used it on any of my motors, never had a prob

dang repost. please delete, my page dont load then it posts it after i stuck up another.

#4 ·
Apparently this is only a plague on the V8's due to their aluminum heads.

#5 ·
correct me if I am wrong but the V6 has aluminum heads also. There is a lot of talk about #5 cross threading on the V6.I used the anti seize as a percaution and gingerly hand threaded all of the plugs before applying the wrench.
If you break the plug (ceramic part)it should come out easily with a spark plug socket...cross threading is a whole different animal

#6 ·
correct me if I am wrong but the V6 has aluminum heads also. There is a lot of talk about #5 cross threading on the V6.I used the anti seize as a percaution and gingerly hand threaded all of the plugs before applying the wrench.
If you break the plug (ceramic part)it should come out easily with a spark plug socket...cross threading is a whole different animal
cross threead on 5?
u mean cyl number 5?

because im not sure witch cyl it is
but driver sside middle cyl..plug jsut doesent feel like its in.

it dont screw down as far, it comes out in a few turns.

#7 ·
yea thats your 5 cylinder i believe. 1 2 3 bottom to top on the passenger side, then 4 5 6 bottom to top on the driver side.

#9 ·
yea thats odd, because all the other ones took a hour to screw in it seams, but the number 5 took like 3 turns... and its not crooked.. .so i dunno.

yea alum heads can be a pain, i got them on my boat...got to be verrry careful and i change those plugs once a year

#11 ·
whats the 2 piece?

we use standard plugs, with standard wires.

so glad its not direct fire :D

G
#12 ·
My car has 9000 miles on it. Should I remove my plugs and put anti sieze on the threads, or is it already too late?
I just replaced all of my spark plugs, and put anti-seize on all of them, a couple weeks ago when I heard about this problem. I don't care if it applies to V6's or not, I'm not going to risk a $3k repair bill coming my way when I can spend $37 and avoid it.

FYI, my car is very similar to your own.

#15 ·
The TSB says NOT to put anti seize on the threads.
Just on the electrode shield. There is a picture in the TSB

#20 ·
I think pcfrish and Stl are talking about the GT spark plugs about the anti-seize.Wondering if we need to use anti-seize on the V6 plugs since with just have the regular type plugs with threads and not the electrode shield like the GT has?Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.