Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing the fluids, some electrical work and front disc brake upgrades, we've started the engine and found a substantial exhaust leak on number six cylinder. Upon closer inspection, we found that the tab on the cylinder head for the exhaust manifold to bolt onto is missing.

Any recommendations? We have headers from Clifford Performance. Do you think we can install them and not have exhaust leaks from number six? If we do install the headers, would you recommend a gasket or a few coats of paint on the head?

A new head would be nice but would rather not spend the $$ on it right now as we still need to tackle the interior and get it on the road.

Thanks
JO

Attachments

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Unfortunitely its gonna leak like a sinking ship.......

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
being that's part of the head, you can try welding a stud and hope it holds. imo new head. on that I have a 66 200 head I give you. just got to come and get it.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I agree that a new, or at least a different, head is in your future. When the manifold gets hot it gets really hot and that stud has to be there to keep the manifold from warping away from the head on that end. As Beechkid mentioned, it will leak quicker than the Titanic.

Welding cast iron is extremely difficult and has to be what is callled 'furnace welding'. You have to get the head so hot its nearly melting BEFORE you start welding and then cool it slowly so it doesn't break immediately. Its unlikely anyone local can do it, its expensive and not always successful. For something as common as a Mustang head I wouldn't even recommend trying it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts