Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in a rough situation here. Ive gone through two wheel lock keys and have broken two wheel locks right on the stud and want advice some advice on how to get these things off. I can get the other two undamaged ones off. I need some help with the ones that are in the pictures. Im pretty sure there is not enough room to hammer a socket on but you can be the judge. THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Im in a rough situation here. Ive gone through two wheel lock keys and have broken two wheel locks right on the stud and want advice some advice on how to get these things off. I can get the other two undamaged ones off. I need some help with the ones that are in the pictures. Im pretty sure there is not enough room to hammer a socket on but you can be the judge. THANKS
Does not look like enough room to get a socket on it.

I just went thru a stripped lock key (that Ford screwed up) and they took mine off with a master, but mine were still whole.

I suggest going to Ford, they may have some trick tool.

I now give up with all wheel locks, just too many bad experiances. I had one a an older car that i ended up drilling the lug out and replacing it with a new one.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Wow thats a nasty one.
If it were mine I would try using a small punch or chisel and work it counter clockwise like your trying to loosen it. Soak it good with blaster and a little heat from a propane torch can't hurt either. Oh..put the other 4 lug nuts on and torque them so all the load isn't on the bad lug.

The best solution may be to drill the stud out deep enough to break the nut loose. Start small 1/8" and work your way up.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Ouch... Really chewed up that wheel too. May have to get those studs cut off and replaced.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
You wont forget the anti-seize when you put them back on will ya. After you use that you wont run into any problems like these. My lugs spun off like butter.:bigthumbsup But the gt is new to me so i havn't broken off these lugs yet.

Yea that happend to me. After hours of messin around. I took it to a shop, there are a couple special lug removal tools and such.

And im gonna have to vote they need to drill those out. Almost looks like somone welded them on. :happyhapp

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe try craftsman bolt out damaged nut removers.

If there is enough metal for them to grab onto, it will get them off.

I used these to remove a rounded bolt from my bike's oil drain plug. I thought I was done for, it was so rounded off. These worked like a charm.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with the FORD wheel locks (actually just one) about two years ago. It split and broke a big chunk out like in one of your pictures. I tried what one of the other posters suggested by trying to tap it with an assortment of chisels in the direction to get it off and it just flat didn't work. What I wound up doing was use an air chisel (muffler cutter) and broke what was left of the nut until it came off in pieces. The process destroyed the stud which I had to replace, and I got a few dings in the factory bullit wheel. Studs are not that expensive and easy to replace so don't be afraid of damaging a stud, it's a good sacrifice to get the wheel off.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
punch or chisel in the off direction is about it. a dab of wheel bearing grease on each stud and you`ll never have that problem again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.