Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Alrights so i got this 5.0 from a 1994 mustang in my 86. I just filled up the radiator with some fluid because i noticed I was low. So today I checked the fluid and there is this brown foamy stuff in my fluid. And I also filled the fluid up all the way and now its low. My next step is flushing out the radiator and see what happens. I am hoping I don't have a blown head gasket but that may be the problem because there is a white gas that is coming out of the driver side exhaust. If it is a blown head gasket then that at least would give me a reason to put on my DOOE 351 heads on. Here are some pics and thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
sounds like a bad head gasket to me..and man,is that pic ugly
that engine block and cooling system is going to need some MAJOR cleaning
you may have to replace the radiator after that..that **** looks like pudding lol

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yuck! Ive never seen anything like that. But maybe the previous owner of the engine put some K&W block sealer and didn't do it right? Maybe some of that quicksilver sealant?

It looks like it is some by-product of something oil or metal, maybe ptfe based, or just oil in the water, but never seen anything that bad.

Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its pretty bad I was thinking it maybe the previous owner trying to use a radiator sealer. I say this because the hole on the water pump is starting to leak indicating a bad water pump. I don't know if the sludge was for this or caused this. So I guess it looks I will be doing a head gasket swap if my radiator flush doesn't work out.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
It looks like someone mixed in the wrong antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Head gasket sounds reasonable but I think you're doing the right thing by trying to flush the system first. Replace the water pump and be prepared to run the hose through the engine for about 10 minutes. Radiator is probably toast but i'd be worried about replacing before you know what wrong with it. You could end up clogging the new one too.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
So I guess it looks I will be doing a head gasket swap if my radiator flush doesn't work out.
the white smoke/steam coming from the exhaust almost definitely means its a bad head gasket..along with the loss of water..and i still cant believe that crud inside the cooling system

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Do a pressure test if it has been sitting crap can grow in there. But that looks pretty bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.