Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all was just wanting a bit of advice and also what others might do based on a $12k budget with their cars engine (or even what you've already done for a similar budget).
I'm currently gearing up to purchase my dream car late July next year (savings and finance plan well in place and I even have permission from the soon to be wife :clap ).
Details on the purchase I will be making:
An already Modified 67 fastback in top notch body wise (don't want to destroy an original)
Mod 1. Griggs suspension all the way around
Mod 2. Engine.........this is where I hit a wall

I'm wanting a high performance engine with plenty of Torque right through the range that'll really tear up the tarmac, however, driveability (even in traffic) is essential. As handling through corners (may see a track day or two) is also a high priority the engine weight should be considered.
This car will be driven 3-4 times a week and I'll likely go with a 5 speed manual transmission.

What is everyone's perspective on an optimal package to put in the car based on this budget......bang for bucks etc
A new 5.0L motor with fuel injection etc
A ported 351 Windsor maybe with a supercharger
A big block engine (I hear these are now not that much heavier than small blocks and can give good bang for your $)

I'm not wanting all to argue with each other over small or big blocks - preferably just what they'd do if they were in the same situation as myself, with similar objectives and maybe even a little justification as to why they'd go that route.

Thanks in advance for your opinions
James (KnuckleRiser)
AKA Knuckle - head

·
Registered
810 Posts
Force Induction EFI on a 331 stroker motor will provide you the best power/weight/effecicentcy (spell?)/longevity trade off IMO. I run a stroked 408 cleveland and it its big, heavy, loud, nothing refined about it at all...but that's the way I wanted it, however I understand the constraints of my setup and know that I could make significantly more power, get better MPG, be quieter, and alot more 'civilized' using a different approach.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i agree with the 331 and a poweradder :green

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
A stroked 351 Windsor with aluminum heads would be my starting point. A complete 408 CID with headers, carb w/highrise, balanced and blueprinted and a Tremec 6 speed would just about run you 12K. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your opinions guys - it seems all of the above agree that a smaller block stroked out and up is the better direction to go and probably the easiest as well as at least I won't have to modify anything within the engine bay to fit this type of motor.......

:drink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.