Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many threads trying to find an opinion on the best bug protectant(if there is such a thing that exist) for the front of the car on a brand new car. I live in Baton Rouge and we have "love bug" season coming up and I have heard things from W-D40 to wax left on. Does anyone know what the best treatment or product would work?And is whatever I use ok being in the sunlight with a black Mustang with two white racing stripes from the factory?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Clear Bra
I have it & installed it on several of my vehicles- other companies make a similiar product......Basically, if you can do window tint, you can do this too. It is very, very durable with regards to damage protection, I can personally attest it is almost bullet proof in regards to protecting the paint and panels from damage but paint must be fully cured before application (IMHO, 1 year). Additionally you can order pre-cut templates of the material for your hood, etc or bulk rolls as well. The main issue when ordering pre-cut is to spec that you do not want to have to stretch the material more than 1/8" (personally I like 1/16" but some are a little testy about that) Some distributors cut the material so that is requires you to stretch it up to 1/4" across the width of the hood.....while it does stretch, that is just a unnecessary PITA !! and as thick as it is, it ain't easy either.

I ordered mine (actually for my 2006 Mark LT and others) from...

Star Shield Armor
4315 East Santa Ana Street
Ontario, CA 91761
866-662-4477
626-813-0299

I requested the hood width be require no more than 1/16" stretch (no problem), service, product quality was very good. I was just glancing at their vid to ensure their address (they moved from irwindale) and as you can see, they still believe in making the product fit the car, versus you making it fit the car.......FYI- they are also a 3m training center.

For my Mark LT (which I did in 2006), IIRR the entire front nose (pre-cut) cost me under $200 (including air dam, etc), for a pro installation- the total bill would have been around $350.

The mustang would be very, very easy because of the large flat areas, etc. The Mark LT has some very difficult curves & bends in the lower facia, with those, because the material is thick, it really doesn't like to bend in multiple compound sharpe turns and you have to make what I will call relief cuts to make it work.....todays materials might change that as well, but you might have to do very minor triming depending on the level of perfection you want......what i will say is this, for a mustang it would be extremely easy to do the front end, sides, etc. & these guys were great to work with

On my Mark LT, it went to 2- 3M certified installers 1st, both results were so bad I made them remove every last piece- and ended up doing it myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used the bug remover spray/Gel to clean them up and then I would go back over it with spray wax just in case it stripped my wax away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep it waxed or use a paint sealant(more durable) this will make it alot easier to clean. Like mentioned above if you use a bug remover reapply wax/sealant or use spray wax. Most bug remover will remove waxes/sealants. Try this spray on sealant and is super slick.:bigthumbsup

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are some high end detail places that will use different types of sealants that can at least protect from bugs. One place by me does a durable ceramic sealant. It is pretty cool ****.

If you dont mind spending the money than get a clear bra, it really is your best bet.

I highly recommend purchasing a bug/tar remover. Places like Griots and Chemical Guys carry them. I think CG has the best deal. Use it before you wash the car

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the bug remover spray/Gel to clean them up and then I would go back over it with spray wax just in case it stripped my wax away.

Is there a particular brand/ bug remover you recommend? I tried some Bug and Tar Remover not too long ago and it was a joke...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts