Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1966 convertible has a build date code of 03H which converts to Aug. 1965. The sequential number though is 259443 which seems very high for that early in the model year. I know Aug. 1966 would be 03V, so I don't think that is the answer. The buck tag and title agree in all respects. Can anyone solve this mystery? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!someone,who knows more about vin than me,will give you an answer.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
You may want to PM Veronica, she knows about those years.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) :welcome: If your car is a San Jose car, as in the VIN goes 6R08_259443, 03H would be august 3rd of 66, which is right in sequence with some other cars that I know about. The San Jose plant didn't get rolling on the 66s quite as early as the others, and didn't have any 66 model cars scheduled for completion until September, and didn't use the H until the end of the model year. Yours would be one of the last 66s, not one first. That's if it's a San Jose car. If not, I really don't know what to tell you.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Veronica, for welcoming me and for trying to solve the mystery.
The car is a Dearborn build and the door tag, fender stamp and title all agree as
to numbers. I have a prospective buyer for the car and he is concerned that this is a red flag. I don't know what more to do to reassure him.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) That's interesting. Is the door tag the only place that you see the production date? The build date of a Dearborn car with that sequential number should be like 16 or 17B. If the door tag has been replaced, that would explain it. The guy looked at B and saw H.:gringreen If you look at the tag and the axle and trans codes are separated enough and are pretty much where you would think that they should be, the door tag has been replaced. They look like a 2 digit code underneath trans on the original door tags.:)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I wonder if Veronica could estimate my build date for my data plate, it is not readable. My car VIN is 5R08F10362X it is Tropical Turquoise with White top and Black interior, 260 v-8 with 3spd.

I looked at all of the sheet metal and it has either 6 27 or 7 14 date stamps.

Thanks. Keep up the great work :)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I wonder if Veronica could estimate my build date for my data plate, it is not readable. My car VIN is 5R08F10362X it is Tropical Turquoise with White top and Black interior, 260 v-8 with 3spd.

I looked at all of the sheet metal and it has either 6 27 or 7 14 date stamps.

Thanks. Keep up the great work :)
Hi again.:) That's a very interesting car that you have.:)They built less than 5000 San Jose 64 1/2s. I think that it was something in the 4300 range, but I'm not certain about that. The scheduled build date on your car was probably G28, but that could be off by a little bit. It was definitely G twenty something, and it would have been towards the upper end of that. Higher than 25, but definitely not 30. If there is any way that you could make out the last digit, then all you have to do is stick G2 in front of that. I don't have any data on a car that's close enough to yours to nail it down any closer than that. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Great, thanks for the help. Would it be G27 or 27G, it looks like the G is at the end from what I can tell.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) Yes, it would be at the end. Sorry about that. I always state month then day. I don't know why.:nogrinner The date on the door tag will be the first two digits are the day and the letter at the end is the month. The G would be the last digit. It's the last digit of the day that you would want to try to make out, which would be ( 2XG ) the one in the middle of this.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.