Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 06' I bought my Mustang GT with 17,000 miles on it, Fully loaded. My first mods started with the usual bolt ons (Nothing Exciting). As I slowly started getting into the "Car Scene" I realized a Bolt-On GT is nothing special to what is out there (Few Years ago). At that time a Cam/Heads LS1 or Ported Eaton Cobra was the "God" of the streets :hihi:.

When I got out of High School, and went to college (30min from my house) I was still close to the car scene guys. Obviously cars started getting faster, the twin screws started being put on, and the game was "Stepping up".

Halfway through college, I decided to put a "Blower" on to my car. Bought a complete blower kit (s4), Fuel system, and a few other various upgrades. Did 3.73's, and called it a day (6-8psi) of boost.

Finally after a year of boost. I decided to man up and put the 10-12psi upgrade on, with a intercooler, and Idler pulley. That lasted about 6 or so months, and I decided, I couldnt take it any longer.....

In late Febuary I decided to get my motor rebuilt, and it was finished in late March.

Bored .020
Steel Crank
Forged H Beams
Manley Pistons
Ported Heads
Custom Grind Cams/Springs/Retainers
Meiling Oil Pump
Cloyes Timing Set
Innovaters West 10% Crank Pulley
Dual GT Pumps
Modified STG2 FPDM
Zex Nitrous (75/100) shot, for now :gringreen

Ol' Baby coming out. It worked FLAWLESSLY, and only had 32k on the clock. Just decided It wasnt enough :bigthumbsup

Break-down of motor, preparing for the machine work

Boring .020:

Head-Work:

Assembly:

I took my car to the tuner, and got a base tune on it (Old Fuel System). It maxed out my fuel system on 14* of timing, I plan on running 18*. My pumps/FPDM will be installed soon (this week) hopefully) and I will be spraying as well :bigthumbsup

Ill keep everyone updated on my #'s for Boost/Nitrous! This has been a long road with the car, and its FINALLY done. Only thing I have left to do, if I do anything, will be (Cowl Hood, Suspension).

Check back within the next week or so for #'s!

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still looks stock!

·
Registered
139 Posts
sounds like it should be very mean i cant wait to see the numbers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried posting the (Images) but this site must be set up differently then others. It gives links instead of just showing a picture.

Owell, hope it works out so everyone can see the pictures!

I'll post #'s shortly! Thanks :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
What are you going to call it? "Black Beauty", "Darth Vader", "Back in Black" or "Black Menace"?

:gringreen

It looks like the "Green Hornet" needs a larger stinger... :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I wanna see numbers!! :D
I will get some #'s for you guys shortly :bigthumbsup

What are you going to call it? "Black Beauty", "Darth Vader", "Back in Black" or "Black Menace"?

:gringreen

It looks like the "Green Hornet" needs a larger stinger... :D
Chip you crack me up :hihi:.

"Hornet Killer" :wavey

Seems like your getting the "Gun Bug" and out of the car scene. :laugh:

wow that's awesome
Thanks man. It should be fun :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
95 Posts
In late Febuary I decided to get my motor rebuilt, and it was finished in late March.

Bored .020
Steel Crank
Forged H Beams
Manley Pistons
Ported Heads
Custom Grind Cams/Springs/Retainers
Was that the most expensive part of your build? I want to do that as well because I am in your shoes about right now when you decided to build up the engine. Except I have about 80K miles on my motor so doing a rebuild like you did is something I wanna do but scared of the cost and if it really is worth it. I see you have bored .020 and I think that means that in that picture you have you shaved the piston hole bigger .020 or something. What is the advantages of that? Why not just leave it stock? Just wondering...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was that the most expensive part of your build? I want to do that as well because I am in your shoes about right now when you decided to build up the engine. Except I have about 80K miles on my motor so doing a rebuild like you did is something I wanna do but scared of the cost and if it really is worth it. I see you have bored .020 and I think that means that in that picture you have you shaved the piston hole bigger .020 or something. What is the advantages of that? Why not just leave it stock? Just wondering...
Although on my engine I only had 32k on the clock when I took it out, I just wanted to make sure my cylinders didnt have any ware or tear on them, so I bored them 0.020 over. At 80k I def recommend you bore it .020 over, plus it makes the CI of the motor go up just a tad :bigthumbsup

A guy that used to work for our family business use to build motors for us. When we got out of "Manufacturing" he left, and started his own performance shop. He builds all types of motor's, but specializes in 4.6's/5.0's. He is located in Illinois, just East of St. Louis, Missouri. Wetzel Automotive is his shop name.

My motor wasnt bad at all. Full build, ordering of the parts, labor to put it together, machine work, etc... It was fairly cheap actually. I already had the blower, and all my bolt ons. The only thing I changed was my motor, fuel system, and a bottle.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
95 Posts
So all you did is port the heads? Correct me if im wrong, but I thought if you are doing that much Psi and even a bottle don't you wanna get like patriot stage 2 heads or any aftermarket heads (which cost around 2,000!) or if you just port them you will be fine... Did you do anything special to your heads to make them fine enough for the more psi and nitrous? Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So all you did is port the heads? Correct me if im wrong, but I thought if you are doing that much Psi and even a bottle don't you wanna get like patriot stage 2 heads or any aftermarket heads (which cost around 2,000!) or if you just port them you will be fine... Did you do anything special to your heads to make them fine enough for the more psi and nitrous? Thanks for all the info.
I took my stock engine out, stripped it down, and then he built it.

Bored/Clean my block and bored the cylinders .020
Added a steel crank, Forged H Beam Rods, and Manley Pistons. We added a Meiling oil pump, and Cloyes Timing set.

Jeff (My Builder) ported my heads. Instead of buying new heads, he had the equipment to port heads, so I did that. It flows around a stage 2 head. We added custom grinded cams for the blower/nitrous, and I added springs/retainers in the heads so they were "upgraded" for the boost and nitrous.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuel system will be put in this weekend! Tune will be completed by early next week (If everything goes as planned).

Chip, Ill keep ya updated :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
thats awesome. if you can get some videos up. i bet it screams at 14 psi

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats awesome. if you can get some videos up. i bet it screams at 14 psi
Yea, it screams pretty good. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Little Update :gringreen

- Fuel system installed (Check)
- Nitrous System installed (Wiring up switches is all that is left)
- Boost tune will be completed :bigthumbsup

Should be done within today or tommorrow at the latest. Will update everybody with final boost #'s and a little Juice #'s

·
Registered
95 Posts
ooohhhhhhhh yessss. I can't wait to see the numbers... especially with nitrous as well. Its gunna be crazy.

prediction @ 14psi 520rwhp

with nitrous prolly 600rwhp.

Can't wait

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eh, I dont think I will be that high.

Boost Im hoping to be in the mid 400's. If I can get around 450+ I will be happy. That will be just enough for me to cruise around the streets on, and enjoy it, and when I KNOW Im going to need the extra kick, I can turn on the juice. :bigthumbsup

Im starting off with a (Small) shot. Just to get my feet wet with spraying nitrous with boost. My HP will go up a bit, but my TQ should go through the roof (Hopefully) on most sprayed boosted cars, the TQ gets pretty nuts.

Sooner or later (Most likely sooner) :hihi: I will be spraying a 100-125 shot. For now, Im sticking with the little 75 hit. :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts