Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to buy the D.S.S. PRO BULLET 331 Short Block needed some help figuring out what to machine the engine to. Here is a list of some of the things that I already have. A Trick Flow Box-R upper/lower manifold, an 80mm Mass air sensor, 30 something LB injectors, (been a while,) an MSD Billet distributor, Flow Master exhaust system and a BBK cold air induction kit. I have already bought BBK Shorty headers, an electric fan, an F303 cam and BBK underdrive pulleys. Everything else is stock. I need to know what type of heads and pistons to get and what the compressio should be. I want to go with an X cam now but don't know how to go about that either. Along with that I also want to get a supercharger down the road. Also the fuel system I have for it is archaic and needs to be dealt with. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mypony89 said:
I was wanting to buy the D.S.S. PRO BULLET 331 Short Block needed some help figuring out what to machine the engine to. Here is a list of some of the things that I already have. A Trick Flow Box-R upper/lower manifold, an 80mm Mass air sensor, 30 something LB injectors, (been a while,) an MSD Billet distributor, Flow Master exhaust system and a BBK cold air induction kit. I have already bought BBK Shorty headers, an electric fan, an F303 cam and BBK underdrive pulleys. Everything else is stock. I need to know what type of heads and pistons to get and what the compressio should be. I want to go with an X cam now but don't know how to go about that either. Along with that I also want to get a supercharger down the road. Also the fuel system I have for it is archaic and needs to be dealt with. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
I believe im correct that a 331 is a 302 bored .30 over with a 331 stroker crank. So you will need .30 over size pistons. You also will want to get pistons (forged preferably) with deep valve reliefs.I made the mistake of using a "stock type" piston with my Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads and the valves hit the piston. So i had the pistons flycut for more relief. Save yourself the time and get a larger valve relief. A stock type piston will work with AFR 165's but almost nothing else. I would get AFR 185's or Edelbrock Performer RPM's or Victor Jr. heads. I have the same Trick Flow Intake and im happy with it. You may also want to look into a different cam. The Ford cams are outdated, i had a B303 in my last motor and it wouldnt idle for crap. I now have a comp cams extreme energy cam (very high lift) and have no idle problems. If you wanna run the X cam, it is a fairly high lift cam so you wanna make sure your pistons are RELIEVED.. cant stress this enough. I see that you would like to run a supercharger, i would keep the compression down for this, about 8:1 or 9:1. You can do this with dished pistons or pistons with larger reliefs. Heads also play a factor. Go with 1.6 ratio roller rockers, so you dont have to mess with valve train geometry too much. You should then measure to see what size pushrods youll need. I hope this helps you at least a little, i just got through the engine building process and am extremely happy. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.