Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I recently bought a 87 mustang GT with a freshly built 302. With a few mods one being a e303 cam. When I start the car it accelerates up to 6-7 RPM. It even accelerates on its own when I'm driving it. We took it to autozone and a guy said we had to take it to a mustang performance shop so they could make the computer sync with the motor for everything to be fine. He also said it could be a couple hundred $$$ an hour..Which on a highschool students budget would be hard to put out. I'm looking for a second opinion and any help will be greatly appreciated.

*List of all mods in the engine*
Gt40 upper and lower intake, 1 in intake spacer, e303 cam, bbk shorty headers, h pipe, spintech single chambers.

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a new mass air flow sensor. The guy at autozone said I had to buy a bigger/better one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Its probably computer related. Did u run the codes?

Also I can just imagine you trying to drive the car at 6-7k rpm through town lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean when I initially start it, it revs up to 6-7, After that it won't go over 3 on its own. I've been told it's computer related so I guess I might just have to take it to the shop.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Auto zone should run codes for free. I'd wait for one of the older guys to get on they might have a better idea than me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The stock computer can handle your mods just fine. No need to spend the dough. What mass air, size throttle body, injectors?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Is the throttle body opening and closing fine? Even above 3000 that'll be pulling in a lot of air.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just measured the throttle bodies diameter and it came out to 76mm, or 3 inch. I have a picture of it too.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
76 Mm throttle body !!! That's an Explorer intake.. it doesn't have opening that wide.. 62 Mm opening in that intake for the throttle body.. it's probably not even seating right and u may have a massive vacuum leak..put a 65 Mm or stock throttle body on it.. with stock heads it won't flow that much anyhow..

Stop taking auto zone advice!! U dont need a tune for those simple mods

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
621 Posts
76 Mm throttle body !!! That's an Explorer intake.. it doesn't have opening that wide.. 62 Mm opening in that intake for the throttle body.. it's probably not even seating right and u may have a massive vacuum leak..put a 65 Mm or stock throttle body on it.. with stock heads it won't flow that much anyhow..

Stop taking auto zone advice!! U dont need a tune for those simple mods
No doubt, the Auto Zone guy is clueless.

I can't imagine this system out flowing a stock TB and EGR system anyway with Ford factory iron heads.

It's hard to tell what is really wrong, but it *could* be a severe vacuum leak. It also could be any one of a dozen or more other things.

Is this car still speed density? It is an 87, which is speed density. They don't always do well with bigger cams and other mods. If it is still a speed density and not an A9L MAF conversion, and it has a hodge-podge of different parts plus a bigger cam, this could be screwing it up bad. The MAF A9L system in later cars would not be so sensitive to small changes.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
that's for sure the stock e7 heads won't flow what that intake cam and throttle body want

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Did you just buy this car?

What does this car have done?

Run your codes for starters.......

DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test Procedure

Learn to do this as it is free, can point you in the right direction or maybe even give you the problem at hand. Like also stated it could be a nasty vacuum leak. Get a can of carb cleaner and try listening for a leak and spray in that general area and if the idle goes up, you found the leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought it about 3 weeks ago. The mods listed are a new mass air flow sensor, new tps, new fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter, aluminum heads, gt40 upper and lower intake, 1 inch intake spacer, e303 cam, bbk shorty headers, h pipe, spintech single chambers.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Think you could throw a estimate at me ?
Wish I could, I dont know prices in your area. Up in New England prices are sky high, dynos run 150 an hour and it can take from 2-4 hours to properly tune it, then of course the chip price and install price(.5-1 hour labor). I know more south dynos are cheaper so if you can find a dyno for...75?? and hour figure 2 hours since its a mild cam plus one hour install it could run you total around 500 bucks. Youd have to call around dynos in your area I have NO clue what it runs there, I have seen people post they pay 40-50 an hour on a dyno so I couldnt really give an estimate other than 3 hours labor total including install plus the price of the chip. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Those mods don't need a tune..the tune will maximize performance..if it's not right then parts are not working right..if u can't do this on your own go to a reputable shop that deals in performance...did you look at the throttle body spacer vs intake like I mentioned?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts