1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey man, where is that? Looks like an excellent driving road :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
62 Posts
"The Dragon" is only the knarliest road in the US! 318 curves in 11 miles ... not for the faint of heart. It's in western NC and crosses over into eastern TN. I've ridden it several times on my Kawasaki Nomad and pretty much sworn off riding it again on my bike. It is fairly dangerous, especially on weekends when everyone is out.

Sport bikes pretty much rule there, but you will see everything from Ninjas to Harleys to sportscars to the occasional 18 wheeler. Next weekend is Miata weekend and they will be swarming like fireflies around a campfire.

There is a guy, or three who pretty much makes a living photographing riders. His site is killboy.com. You can view pics of your adventure (if you make it) and purchase from him. Actually, there is another road nearby the Dragon, that is my favorite ... the Cherohala Skyway.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
"The Dragon" is only the knarliest road in the US! 318 curves in 11 miles ... not for the faint of heart. It's in western NC and crosses over into eastern TN. I've ridden it several times on my Kawasaki Nomad and pretty much sworn off riding it again on my bike. It is fairly dangerous, especially on weekends when everyone is out.

Sport bikes pretty much rule there, but you will see everything from Ninjas to Harleys to sportscars to the occasional 18 wheeler. Next weekend is Miata weekend and they will be swarming like fireflies around a campfire.

There is a guy, or three who pretty much makes a living photographing riders. His site is killboy.com. You can view pics of your adventure (if you make it) and purchase from him. Actually, there is another road nearby the Dragon, that is my favorite ... the Cherohala Skyway.
The Skyway Rocks. It really sucks to be so close to it, but I will be up there early Saturday morning on the Skyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My favorite twisty road just opened last weekend...snow. I dunno if you can read the sign...trucks banned, because they simply cannot negotiate the corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nope, never heard of it, but thanks for the info! Gotta add this to the "list" now :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like you're from NJ ... so, if you do make it down to ride the Dragon, be sure to include the Skyway ... as Siber said, it rocks! It's a much tamer ride than the Dragon and the views are simply amazing. There are plenty of places to pull off and take in the scenery and un-pucker. Can't do that on the Dragon. Once you commit, you pretty much gotta ride it out to the end or risk getting runned over. Not really any place to pull over. Pucker factor = 10!

And when you head back north, take in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just make sure you have a full tank and observe the speed limit. It is a peaceful, easy ride through the Appalachain's, with great views and many places to pull off and sight see. It's about 470 miles of amazing scenery from NC to Virginia.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll be at a wedding in NC next year, maybe I'll get lost on my way back up :winks Very, very lost.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
nice video
i would love to drive that road

and what kind of camera did u use?????

·
Registered
335 Posts
A few years ago I discovered a road out from Hungry Mother state park in VA... it was a blast even in a V8 Jeep.

I grew up with these kind of roads and I didn't know how good I had it until I moved to Dallas which has NO ROADS WITH CURVES.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice video
i would love to drive that road

and what kind of camera did u use?????
No idea..I didn't shoot the video. Lifted it from the IMBOC site. Video was shot during the Bullitt Nationals. I just thought folks here would enjoy seeing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts