Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already searched for the S/C threads, didn't really find any answers to my questions so:

I want to know what S/C would be best for my needs. MY GT is a daily driver, I don't go to the track, and I have a thing for cobras. But since I don't want to plunk down 40k for the gT500(nor do I have that kinda cash) I think I want to go with a S/C system. Plus I saw on Overhaulin' last night they overhauled a GT and threw on a Paxton S/C system:drool: . So Hot! I'm looking to get into the 400s in HP, dont really want to breach 450rwhp though. I want more power, but as I said, this is my daily driver and I want this beast under control. I'm looking for something that has low maintenance and high durability. I don't particularly care where the power is, low or high end.

I currently don't have any mods, but hey, if I'm gunna mod this thing, gotta have a blower. Which leads me to another question, besides adding on a S/C do I need to put anything else on the car as to balance out the increase in power? I know I would need better tires/suspension. But is there anything I would need to do to the engine that doesn't come with most S/C systems or can I stick with most of the stock equipment(ie camshaft, lighter flywheel, gears, exhaust system)?

PS I drive this in snow during the winter, so as long as I'm east on the gas like I am now, I shouldn't have any slippage(more than usual) with the increase in power? Any1 drive their S/Ced stang in the snow?

I know it's a lot of questions, but if any1 can thorw me a few answers that'd be great!

·
Registered
528 Posts
TwoScoops: You might want to think about 39# injectors, high flow fuel pump, pullys, and 3:73 gears to start with. Some systems come with the injectors and fuel pump as a package depending on who you purchase your S/C through. If you're going to be running 420+HP you might want to look into a new axel (31 spline?) and and a full suspension kit (Saleen or Roush). As of right now I'm still running stock tire and they SUCK (ie. spin and spin and spin) so be sure to think about some new rims and tires (17X9 or 18X9 at the least with good tires).

As for the snow..I got caught in the snow once and it wasn't much (1 inch at the most) and it will be the last time I attempt to drive in the snow. Had to keep the RPM's really low to avoid spin and trying to go from a stop to 1st gear on an incline was especially fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
S/c Questions

I do not have a supercharger on mu stang but I have investigated them a little. Personally I would look for a self contained unit,{no oil line holes to punch in your oil pan]that also includes the correct injectors and fuel pump and programmer with programs required. I believe the Ken Bell is a nice self contained unit that should be more than enough for 400-450 horse. You might also want to consider aftermarket headers and exhaust to get all the extra exhaust out. as far as the axles, they are already 31 spline axles. How strong of axles they are I don't know. However, the rear control arms would be a wise upgrade. Like I said, I don't have an s/c yet, maybe a ways away, but I know quite a few people here do so you should get some real good experienced advise. Good luck

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanbks for the feedback. I'm looking to do this maybe in 2 years when my warranty runs out. I'll look into the Kenne Bell. I figured I'd have to throw some wider tires on there. I think alot of the systems come with high flow fuels pumps and injectors...don't they?

Don't know if control arms would b necessary. I'm not looking to put this baby on the track, unless you guys found the wheel hop to be really bad with a S/C?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The KB is awesome! But you said it's an everyday driver and you'll put it on the snow... I went CF for those reasons... initially also to go easier on the stock motor and drivetrain but that have since changed (I'll go ~16 PSI instead...)

The tune and fuel delivery is key! Better pump, dual pumps is not the way to go in my opinion, and the opinion of the guys at MD... I'm getting KB's BAP... 39 lb injectors is a must for +400 RWHP. You should be fine with stock lines and rails, even stock wiring to the pump...

How about a uncooled tuners kit, get your own SCT tuner, a BAP (maybe some higher guage wiring for the pump), some 39 pounders, and a CAI (like the Vortech with Andersons intake), all for under $4K... call your shop and offer them $4.5K installed with a tune... :winks

You can use the tuner now, maybe even the CAI, then spring for the rest.. if it's two years prices should go down, maybe under $3K for the blower and fuel parts...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kj_cinci said:
The KB is awesome! But you said it's an everyday driver and you'll put it on the snow... I went CF for those reasons... initially also to go easier on the stock motor and drivetrain but that have since changed (I'll go ~16 PSI instead...)

The tune and fuel delivery is key! Better pump, dual pumps is not the way to go in my opinion, and the opinion of the guys at MD... I'm getting KB's BAP... 39 lb injectors is a must for +400 RWHP. You should be fine with stock lines and rails, even stock wiring to the pump...

How about a uncooled tuners kit, get your own SCT tuner, a BAP (maybe some higher guage wiring for the pump), some 39 pounders, and a CAI (like the Vortech with Andersons intake), all for under $4K... call your shop and offer them $4.5K installed with a tune... :winks

You can use the tuner now, maybe even the CAI, then spring for the rest.. if it's two years prices should go down, maybe under $3K for the blower and fuel parts...
Hey Kj!

I was hoping you'd tune in on this. I'm just wonder how much is too much for a daily driver. My main concerns being maintenance and ability to drive in the snow. Although with the greenhouse warming i may not have to worry about snow much longer:p I'll look at the KB, but which one do you think fits my needs? I want to go easy on the motor(8 PSI?). And willl the extra power affect snow driving if I go easy on the gas?

Didn't even see they made a 5-6PSI kit, what do you think of that?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The KB is a TS which will give you tons of low end TQ, you'll be in the boost at all RPMs... With a CF style blower the boost will be higher up, let's say high 2000 RPMs for it to kick in and then pull hard all the way.

My reasoning for going with the CF was that
A. I don't want to / need to be in the boost while commuting, if I need the power it's there. I mean if you race someone you're never going to start at 2000 RPM...
B. To get going on the snow do you want more or less TQ in the low end? I'd say less (not less than stock of course)... and again, if you want it just step on it.
C. With more power at the low end every time you drive, any driving style will have much more power on your block and drivetrain while with the CF you're just above stock at those driving speeds / RPMs...

Edit. I'm not trashing the TS/Root systems, they are awesome, awesom fun, awesome power! I think for downtown driving, weekend warriors they work better as they ARE more fun. Even though the 4000 RPM kick in a CF SC equipped car is something else! My decition was made on my three points above, everyday driver that I wanted to last and work okay on snow...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks KJ! I think I'm leaniing towards the CF also. I'm sure the fact that you can control if your SC goes on, you can also control fuel consumption and longevity of the engine. So if KB is TS which other brands have CF SCers?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Vortech Paxton ProCharger are the ones I know are avail for us right now. Think all come cooled (~450 RWHP) or uncooled (low 400's).

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kj_cinci said:
Vortech Paxton ProCharger are the ones I know are avail for us right now. Think all come cooled (~450 RWHP) or uncooled (low 400's).
Does the difference between being cooled and uncooled have any impact on how much harder the engine is pushed? OR does the inter-cooled systems just give colder air increasing power?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm leaning towards the KB CF intercooled system. Maybe 5-6 PSI. I'm gunna drop an email to KB and see what they have to see about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
S/ Questions

They may be correct for your application. A centrifical s/c may be the better way to go.[boost higher in the rpm range] Then my preference would be Procharger. [comes with intercooler and no oil lines to plumb] However, like I said, I don't have one to give first hand accounts. However, you still would probably want to upgrade your rear control arms to help minimize the wheel hopping problems.IMO. Plus you could add them in the next year or two and benefit from them in non s/c form too. What do the rest of you think about the control arms? Am I going to overkill?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Anyone seen the Kenne Bell Blower? Didn't think they had one yet. 471HP off of 5 lbs. Less expensive than the Saleen, too. (Saleen increased their prices up by $500.)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Keep in mind, it only takes a few seconds to lock out the boost with the KB. "Valet mode" would be perfect for winters with snow.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Waxed'05 GT said:
Keep in mind, it only takes a few seconds to lock out the boost with the KB. "Valet mode" would be perfect for winters with snow.
Wats "Valet mode"?

"And a few seconds to lock out the boost"? What do you mean?

·
Registered
21 Posts

tw0scoops123 said:
Wats "Valet mode"?

"And a few seconds to lock out the boost"? What do you mean?
This is my first post, but I have been following this forum for a while. I plan on adding an SC late this year or early next year. Since I like to plan things I have already done a lot of spec checking and BS filtering. With that in mind I feel the KB SC kit is the best SC for my summer use only car. I would recommend that you take the time to read the tech tips on the KB site, I was very impressed with the data.

http://www.kennebell.net

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The KB is TS, not CF.

Valet mode pretty much turns off the SC for 'normal driving' or to get going on snow etc...

Cooler air gives more power, also less chance for detonation. But it will still wear more on your engine due to the higher TQ... And detonation should never be an issue, it's in the tune!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kj_cinci said:
The KB is TS, not CF.

Valet mode pretty much turns off the SC for 'normal driving' or to get going on snow etc...

Cooler air gives more power, also less chance for detonation. But it will still wear more on your engine due to the higher TQ... And detonation should never be an issue, it's in the tune!
I coulda swore they said the make CF too.

Plus do you know how you "turn off " the SC via Valet? IS there a button in the cabin or is there a switch on the charger?

·
Registered
622 Posts
MLC40 said:
This is my first post, but I have been following this forum for a while. I plan on adding an SC late this year or early next year. Since I like to plan things I have already done a lot of spec checking and BS filtering. With that in mind I feel the KB SC kit is the best SC for my summer use only car. I would recommend that you take the time to read the tech tips on the KB site, I was very impressed with the data.

http://www.kennebell.net [\QUOTE]

lots of good info. in their faq, but you have to weed through a ton a b.s. as well. Basically, if it's not a twin screw by KB its C%$#!! Bolt-ons and any other S/Cs are for idiots. kinda turns me off KB. In addition, lots of their power/torque graphs are a bit confusing as they don't use the same scale for power and torque, so that the lines don't cross at 5200rpm where they should. If you adjust the scales accordingly the torque and hp cross where it should, but why should we have to **** around like that. At best it's sloppy, at worst it's intentionally misleading. Anyways... I still prefer a 2screw approach, just not KB. btw the 2screw provides boost only under acceleration, or so they say.

·
Registered
77 Posts
tricali said:
Anyone seen the Kenne Bell Blower? Didn't think they had one yet. 471HP off of 5 lbs. Less expensive than the Saleen, too. (Saleen increased their prices up by $500.)
That 471 Engine Horsepower
401 Rear Wheel Horsepower

1 - 20 of 33 Posts