Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mustang people

I`m sure I read in this Forum sometime time ago about the 05 stick lurching or bunny hoping in first gear. It does not always do it but when it does it`s very annoying, what should I tell a the service dept.?

S.:?:

·
Registered
284 Posts
when taking off from stop attimes the car seems to jerk or stumble attimes.
I would probably try to get to took to the tech or see if he can go for a ride with you.
You would not want him to think you do not know how to drive a stick shift

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine did it for a while also. It hasn't done it lately.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've noticed this just recently since it has gotten colder. In the morning after taking it out of the garage it seems alright, but when leaving it outside and first going when cold it bucks like crazy.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Call me crazy, but I've actually gotten really fond of that behavior...the untamed animal, impatient with the restrictions of the parking lot or garage, waiting to gallop! I always oblige her with a healthy accelerate in second once it's safe, and then she's fine.

However, for fans of the scientific method...I'll let you know if that "rearing up" goes away after the gear and Trak Lok go in. Wouldn't think so, but we shall see...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Mine does it too, GT... We have also been playing with the timing and that made it worse... still not perfect... have quite a few tunes coming up here soon so I'll see if we can tune it away... maybe the LW flywheel will help...??

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a very good idea as to what it is.

To me it seems to be the result of the throttle response. As I'm sure alot of you know the throttle response is a tad bit slow. I believe the bunny hopping is from this latency of the throttle and the point of where the gas pedal actually is. Let me see if i can explain it by this example that I have tested. If I'm accelerating in first gear and i go through say a bump or a gutter(something to shake the car) it will change the position of my foot on the accelerator for a split second but then you try to find the exact spot that the accelerator was in before the bump or gutter and that starts a chain reaction of the throttle trying to give the proper amount of gas but by the time it does my foot has changed positions resulting in the bunny hopping. Ways to avoid this would be to disengage the clutch and or give plenty of gas because this bunny hopping only happens in first at slow speeds because that is the most sensitive gear. Now I havent brought it up to my ford dealer because its not really a defect its just the way the car works. Sorta how annoying the ac clutch is :handball:

PS. Hopefully everyone can follow that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hoodlum said:
To me it seems to be the result of the throttle response. As I'm sure alot of you know the throttle response is a tad bit slow. I believe the bunny hopping is from this latency of the throttle and the point of where the gas pedal actually is. Let me see if i can explain it by this example that I have tested. If I'm accelerating in first gear and i go through say a bump or a gutter(something to shake the car) it will change the position of my foot on the accelerator for a split second but then you try to find the exact spot that the accelerator was in before the bump or gutter and that starts a chain reaction of the throttle trying to give the proper amount of gas but by the time it does my foot has changed positions resulting in the bunny hopping. Ways to avoid this would be to disengage the clutch and or give plenty of gas because this bunny hopping only happens in first at slow speeds because that is the most sensitive gear. Now I havent brought it up to my ford dealer because its not really a defect its just the way the car works. Sorta how annoying the ac clutch is :handball:

PS. Hopefully everyone can follow that.
in aircraft terminology 'pilot induced oscillation'...

I havent got mine yet(built today- WOOHOO) but if I notice an issue, I'd opt to add a damper to the engine- I think it uses 'hydromount' dampers, and its possible the soft mounts could allow enough rock to really aggrivate it.- a steering damper sized shock absorber from a head mounting boss or such to shock tower bolt should dampen it out. seen similar dampers on FWD GM cars from the 80's. Guessing a little more agressive take off rpm would prevent it, but with gas where it is, might be other ways to prevent it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts