Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting one good start out of each new soleniod (86 5.0.) and even then the solenoid keeps sending juice to the starter. The starter keeps running and I have to get out and disconnect the battery.. .Please Help

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Are you using the stock '86 style starter, or did you upgrade to the '92 (or whenever) high torque unit? The later syle starter uses a different wiring/cabling scheme. You can try circumventing the ignition key, by hooking 12V+ (straight from the battery) to the small post on the 'noid. Do that and see what happens, and then relay the information to us.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Sounds like an ignition switch issue if you still experience it after changing out the solenoids.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I second the switch as a suspect.......

·
Registered
567 Posts
Try a different brand solenoid. I dont even recomend Motocraft nowadays. They dont make em like they use to.
We happen to have bad batch of Ford solenoid here at work, especially Motocrafts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
solenoid, con't

replaced the ignition switch, replaced the starter....no improvement.....got pissed off and towed it to a mechanic. After I get it back and find out what was wrong I'll post it here, in hopes of helping someone out down the road...Thanks---Cardio
:eyebulge: :eyebulge:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had the exact same problem. when my first did it I was at a friends house and key was out of the ignition and it cranked up. Starting rolling forward, bumper another car. Was not a good site. Anyways. i went through about 4 of them. finally got the most expensive one around. Than right after that my alternator went out. Replaced it and no problem at all. I got a GP SORENSON gold or something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.