Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a empty parking lot today and decided I was going to do a small burnout for my wife, but only one wheel left rubber! I dont do burn outs that often but I do remeber the last one I did a few months back layed rubber on both sides! Whats the problem?

·
Registered
514 Posts
the clutchs in the trac-loc are worn.......easy fix with a clutch kit

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
wayne94mustang said:
the clutchs in the trac-loc are worn.......easy fix with a clutch kit
Its crazy to think the clutches in the rear could be worn in a `02 GT , being only a few years old ,and the fact that dallas02GT does not do burnouts that often , but Im going with you on this one , they have to be worn !

dallas02GT how many miles do you have on your mustang ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 59,300. The last burn out I did is with my stock wheels and tires on and it layed rubber on both sides. I now have 17x10.5 with 315/35/17 Nitto 555 R's. This is the first time I really layed into it with intensions of leaving rubber on the ground. I am kinda getting freaked out over it because I am hearing a winding sound from my car and it sounds like its coming from under the hood but my buddy thinks its from the rear end.

·
Registered
916 Posts
well, both wheels are not guaranteed to spin, but they should. Unless, the one wheel that didn't spin was stuck in a crack on the pavment and the traction lock discs spun more easily then the tire. Hard to explain.

A clutch pack is not a big deal to put in the rear end

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
I have heard the factory clutches are not very good anyways, lasting 20k - 30k miles. Mine started slipping at 43k and I hardly ever did burnouts, however, I can't speak for the previous owner and I don't think he was very kind to the car.

G

·
If you turned right before you started doing the burnout, that may be the reason you only left a one legger... It happened to me before... Or the clutches are worn out.

·
Registered
514 Posts
doing lots of burnouts has nothing to do with the clutchs wareing out...they slip when you turn a corner......and age means nothing ether iv seen fairly new rears with worn out clutchs...they can just harden or glaze sometimes...when i rebuild a factory locker i allways add 1 more fiber disc to each sideand reshim the pack to get longer life and increased force

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
More than likely it was just a fluke. Have you tried to do it again since? You may be surprised to see both wheels spinning again. If not, then the clutches are probably worn. In my opinion, I would spend the money on an aftermarket unit rather than trying to rebuild the crappy factory unit. You can get a better Eaton posi unit or eliminate clutches all together and get a Detroit True-Trac. The Detroit uses gears instead of clutches. Stronger and longer lasting.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havent tried it again. Its raining today and forcasted for tomorrow as well. I am playing on giving it some hell when it dries up to make sure it wasent just a fluke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.