Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking to buy a 94-98 GT 5-spd. Can anyone give me some suggestions about what to look for before I buy the car. Such as common mechanical problems, places to look for rust, interior issues, maybe some horror stories!
Thanks alot!
Richard

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just sold my 96GT a few weeks ago. Had it for two great years. Initially I wanted a 99 or newer but I didn't have the cash for a gt. Bought Mallory (my Red 96 GT, 5 speed) with 76K and drove it to 96K (no winters).

As I said I liked the sharper curves and power increase for the newer GT's but after it didn't take long at all for that 96 to take priority over my gf :D she knew it too. I loved that car.

Changes:
-you must change the headlights !!! The stock headlights on those models fog up and get dull everytime and they look like sh**. I went with the Angel Eye Halo projectors from AmericanMuscle.com. GREAT BUY
The car got tons of compliments and head turns before the lights but after the lights everyone complimented on it (from little kids wanting a burnout to war vets giving their approval) GET THE LIGHTS...easy install.

Secondly I changed the sound. Those cars come with six...6...SIX !!! catalytic converters and the stock sound is nice and low but its just too quiet. Take out the stock H pipe and pick up and aftermarket offroad H or X pipe. I went with the x for a little more noise and power. (dont forget to pick up a 200$ cold air intake as well...another easy install) The CAI and the pipe will give you noticable throttle response and power. On top of that you smile everytime you even think of starting your car. You'll drive around aimlessly just to hear it. Forget shortcuts you will be enjoying the long way home after you change the sound.

The stock gears are also a bit weak but if its your first mustang or sports car you wont know the difference for a while. I kept mine stock for the first year but upgrading the gears is like adding 100 horsepower in terms of acceleration. Stock, you can take 4th gear to about 105 or 110 if I remember correctly but as soon as you hit 5th around 115 the car acceleration falls on its face. With aftermarket gears this is not the case and you just keep accelerating. Again, you wont need them for a while depending on your intensity of need for speed.

Other than that you will need cosmetic stuff. Stock wheels on those cars are pretty bland so you might want to change them, the stereo is pretty weak too so invest 200 into an amp and some subs. and if you dont get leather you're prolly going to want to spend 50 bucks on seat covers or something.

I miss Mallory everyday and I was a wreck when I sold her until I got my new one but I give you two thumbs up for choosing the sn-95 style.

Notable kills: (they aren't the fastest,especially stock...but they give you some pretty good whip lash at shifts for the first 4 gears and they impress all your friends especially after the gears. that is if you know how to drive. Anyways my favorite races were: an early 90's vette, all tiburons "gt"'s haha modded or not, all ricers, pulled good with a modded iroc, mazda Rx 7 or 8 from canada, other mustangs couple newer gt's after the gears, lost to some 05+ GT's, beat my buddies 04 GT without the gears (he didn't know how to keep it in the powerband), and plenty of convertibles with hot chicks (usually 05+ V6's) I'm not a serious track racer like a lot of guys in here and they will tell you these cars are slow, but unless you're highly experienced already you will have tons of fun burning your tires off and doing endless doughnuts :D

hope this helps, keep us posted on what you find

·
Registered
213 Posts
and agreed with dcmab....try to find a 40 or 50 year old guy selling one...look at the tires to see if they've been burning off and edges for "doughnut rash"

·
Registered
15 Posts
one thing that should b considered is what engine do you want the 94-95 have the 5.0 pushrod and the 96-98 have the 4.6 overhead cam motor. think about the long term as to what mods u want to make. myself i prefer my 95 its easier to easier and cheaper for me to make motor mods but the 94-95 can be a nightmare to tune the ecu 96-98 are a little more plug and play and have a variety of tuners avalible. hope this helps

good luck and congrats on the best thing you'll ever buy

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that in mind. I will probably go with the 4.6L just because of the tuning options, and the PI head upgrade seems like a must have item. I'll keep you posted on my findings!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6 Cats wow, I will definately change the exhaust then. My current car has 1500 watts of subwoofing power, so i'll throw that in there too. I will definately consider those gears.
I'm in conversating with a guy selling a 97 4.6 5spd, 100 000 mi, no rust asking for $6000. hopefully i can bring it down quite a bit!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock gears are also a bit weak but if its your first mustang or sports car you wont know the difference for a while. I kept mine stock for the first year but upgrading the gears is like adding 100 horsepower in terms of acceleration. Stock, you can take 4th gear to about 105 or 110 if I remember correctly but as soon as you hit 5th around 115 the car acceleration falls on its face. With aftermarket gears this is not the case and you just keep accelerating. Again, you wont need them for a while depending on your intensity of need for speed.
I finally bought my car...96 Gt just like Malory lol. It's going to be a complete project car. I was just wondering what gears you went with?
Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very Nice. How many miles ? Whats your plan of attack for mods ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh shes got a lot of miles! haha, but the engine runs strong, and the tranny feels firm. She needs some body work, so thats what I'm going to work on first. I'm still in university so I can't afford to do too much under the hood...but I have plans lol. I'm planning on doing like you said for the body: clear lights, nice grill, some saleen rims, possibly a saleen s281 spoiler lip. I want to go 2-tone paint (red on bottom, black on top). I'd like to take the sterio out of my current ride and throw it in there.

As for the motor, PI head swap (possible porting) with mild cams, MAC LT headers, X-pipe, and cat back. Now this is where it gets foggy, because I'm not sure if I want to go fully blown (KB supercharger) or bore out the cylinders, and stroke it. But thats a long way down the road after I graduate and get a job next year.
I would however like to get a MGW short throw shifter and a good set of gears. What gears did you go with? Did it hurt your fuel consumption on the highway?
Thanks!

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
nice choice. i would go with the american muscle smoked 2 piece headlights over the angel eyes. and get a mach 1 lip and some lowering springs and some deep dished wheels and it will look sweet. the one pic is with my old lights but my cars laser red with a crevinis hood lowered 1 1/2 inches with 17'' bullitts. i also just did the head swap with some hitech stage 2 cams and put down 300rwhp. you will be very hapy with this car

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
With that plan you'll definitely be on your way to some fun. I went with Yukon 3.90's. Motive used to make a 3.90 (they might still) for way cheaper but I heard way too much negative feedback to feel comfortable going with their product. (Some say its Motive itself, some say it depends on the install accuracy and break in procedure...I dont know for sure so I just decided to go with the more reputable name). They worked great for me. The 4.10s sounded fun but steep and at the same time they made the 3.73's seem to little so I thought the 3.90 would be a safe bet either way, and they were. Gas milage didn't suffer, as long as you keep the R's down (it's harder to keep off the throttle when the gears are so fun though).

The steeper gear was good on all accounts for me and my friends soon noticed how they effected me. The gears are fun which will cause you to push the car more and speed a little more, but at the same time you are conscious of your gas consumption so when you're not racing around you'll find yourself shifting at 1500 and driving like an old lady. It kind of gave me a split personality as a driver: half the time I'd be racing around, the other half I would be ten miles under the speed limit. For the 96' I think the 3.90 fit pretty well, I def. wouldn't go higher in a daily driver. For my 99' I might op for 3.73's just because the car has more pull already.

I'm still in grad school too so I know the feeling of havin no cash for the important things in life like my new baby. I've had some new eyes for her but they have been sitting in the box for a couple months now.

Hope this helped

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice choice. i would go with the american muscle smoked 2 piece headlights over the angel eyes. and get a mach 1 lip and some lowering springs and some deep dished wheels and it will look sweet. the one pic is with my old lights but my cars laser red with a crevinis hood lowered 1 1/2 inches with 17'' bullitts. i also just did the head swap with some hitech stage 2 cams and put down 300rwhp. you will be very hapy with this car
Damn you ride looks pretty sick. Did you get your heads ported or just left them the way they are? How deep dish are your wheels? 9.5? 10.5?
Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With that plan you'll definitely be on your way to some fun. I went with Yukon 3.90's. Motive used to make a 3.90 (they might still) for way cheaper but I heard way too much negative feedback to feel comfortable going with their product. (Some say its Motive itself, some say it depends on the install accuracy and break in procedure...I dont know for sure so I just decided to go with the more .....
Hope this helped
Thanks for the response, very helpful. I guess I have some thinking to do about the gears haha, I still have lots of time to decide though!
Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Damn you ride looks pretty sick. Did you get your heads ported or just left them the way they are? How deep dish are your wheels? 9.5? 10.5?
Thanks,
Richard
thanks... i just left the heads the way they were. they are off a 04 gt. and the rear wheels are 10.5.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3.73 gears. Best bang for the buck.
I found a used set of 3.73 ford racing gears for $100 CAD, he says there in great condition and have only 20 000miles on them. Is there a way to visually inspect whether the gears are in decent shape or not?

Also, I found a set of 20" rims that will fit on my car, with such big rims though, am i going to going to have a problem with rubbing, assuming I find a low profile tire?

Thanks Again!!!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Geared

I found a used set of 3.73 ford racing gears for $100 CAD, he says there in great condition and have only 20 000miles on them. Is there a way to visually inspect whether the gears are in decent shape or not?

Also, I found a set of 20" rims that will fit on my car, with such big rims though, am i going to going to have a problem with rubbing, assuming I find a low profile tire?

Thanks Again!!!
Stay away from the used gears. For a little more money you can buy new with a warranty. No telling what wear pattern may be on those...

20" is AWFUL big. I would stay away from them, even if they fit without issues, which I doubt. They will exact a performance penalty, a weight penalty, and the ride will be rough. I run 18's and would not do it again myself.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got my 98 gt here has 54000 on it...it a work in progress
Wow, you're goin all out! I still haven't decided what im doing with the motor but yours looks pretty awesome. Did you go with forged internals? How much boost are you running? Did you put PI heads on that? Did you use the PI manifold?
For the body, I like that rear spoiler lip...is that a saleen lip?

Thanks!
Rich

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.