Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a built 89 LX Hatch. It has a 347 stroker, Vortech T-trim supercharger, AFR 185cc's, full fuel system supporting mods, TKO-600, Spec Stage 3 clutch, mosler axles, Auburn locker, 3.55's.

Anything to look for on cars that are built? Obviously with the 347 I have to make sure there's no oil blowing by the rings.

Any other tips would be appreciated, thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
I would ask for documentation of all the parts & labor connected with the build.....

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
there is a sticky that has a lot of little things regarding a fairly stock car i think so that might be worth taking a look at first of all. i would ask the seller for all the recepts and paperwork regarding the build and have it inspected by a mechanic. if i was a little closer to you id come up to check it out for ya:bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It sounds like the owner spent some big coin on that car when building it...But with a blown, stroked engine that you always run a certain amount of risk. I would ask about the tuning(a/f ratios, etc..) and ask to see a dyno sheet. If there are no obvious problems, then it might be worth it.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
How much is he asking for that stang?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's asking $9,000, but I don't know how many miles are on the body, or on the built motor. He's got a Fast Air/Fuel meter in the car itself, along with gauges for oil pressure, water temp, and a boost gauge.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Kinda cheap depends on how the body looks and interior also. Might be worth checking out but be prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the pictures the dude sent me, the body and the interior both look mint. He sent me an underhood picture and I can't see any rot on the strut towers either.

I'm going to see it tomorrow night, and I'll definitely be driving it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to see it on Wednesday. The body was absolutely mint. It was 100% rust free, strut towers were perfect, same with the hatch. It was a 4 cyl to 8 conversion.

Went for a ride and it's by far the fastest car I've been in. The owner said he raced his friends 08 Z06 and put 1/2 a car on him.

Only thing is its loud as hell, has a roll cage, and no airbag. Is this going to be a problem with the cops or should I not worry about it?

R

·
0 Posts
I went to see it on Wednesday. The body was absolutely mint. It was 100% rust free, strut towers were perfect, same with the hatch. It was a 4 cyl to 8 conversion.

Went for a ride and it's by far the fastest car I've been in. The owner said he raced his friends 08 Z06 and put 1/2 a car on him.

Only thing is its loud as hell, has a roll cage, and no airbag. Is this going to be a problem with the cops or should I not worry about it?

The only thing that will be a problem maybe the loud exhaust but that is an easy fix......

Did the owner provide documentation of the build.......:?:

Still waiting on pics.....:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing that will be a problem maybe the loud exhaust but that is an easy fix......

Did the owner provide documentation of the build.......:?:

Still waiting on pics.....:)
Yes he had the dyno sheet in the car with him, has a folder of everything thats been done to the car, and has the clean title in hand.

I'll post some pics.

Attachments

R

·
0 Posts
He's asking $9,000, but I don't know how many miles are on the body, or on the built motor. He's got a Fast Air/Fuel meter in the car itself, along with gauges for oil pressure, water temp, and a boost gauge.

After seeing the pics you posted......

It's a decent car but not a $9000 car........:nono:

·
Registered
833 Posts
how much power did it make? thats a very nice ride not worth 9k reg?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
what kind of block is it? what kind of parts were used on the build?

·
Registered
224 Posts
That looks like a one sweet ride! Is that the Saleen wing? Loud is always a plus for me but if you worried about cops thats a pretty easy fix.

What kinda power did it make? :rollgrin:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what kind of block is it? what kind of parts were used on the build?
Edlebrock upper and lower intake, AFR 185cc heads, DSS 347 Bullet short block, vortech T-trim blower, TKO 600, Spec Stage 3 clutch, mosler 31 spline axles, Auburn locker rear diff.

That looks like a one sweet ride! Is that the Saleen wing? Loud is always a plus for me but if you worried about cops thats a pretty easy fix.

What kinda power did it make? :rollgrin:
Yep Saleen wing, but its freakin' NASCAR loud.

how much power did it make? thats a very nice ride not worth 9k reg?
538 hp and 512 tq to the wheels.

R

·
0 Posts
Edlebrock upper and lower intake, AFR 185cc heads, DSS 347 Bullet short block, vortech T-trim blower, TKO 600, Spec Stage 3 clutch, mosler 31 spline axles, Auburn locker rear diff.

538 hp and 512 tq to the wheels
Based the items highlighted in red......

Alone is enough to avoid the car......

it is still a stock block car which has surpassed its limitations.....

And the trouble with DSS motors recently not worth the risk of buying a car with a motor thats living on borrowed time......

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Based the items highlighted in red......

Alone is enough to avoid the car......

it is still a stock block car which has surpassed its limitations.....

And the trouble with DSS motors recently not worth the risk of buying a car with a motor thats living on borrowed time......
Really, I've never heard of any problems with DSS motors. Can you tell me why they're having problems?

·
Registered
887 Posts
they have been coming apart......

internal problems (rotating assembly)
Yeah, basically, IF you can get him to go down on the price, and then YOU be willing to do a new bottom end DART DART DART!, then go for it!

Otherwise, steer clear, as Reggie said that motor is running on borrowed time

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.